PDA

View Full Version : woodberry's one arm chinups log

woodberry
2013-08-08, 03:50 AM
Currently, I'm very close to doing full 1 arm chinups.

For this, I'm doing weighted chinups, pullups, and parallel grip pullups. 1RMs are something around +135, +100, +120.
I also do some one arm pulldowns, not exactly sure how much weight, since the cables in my gym aren't labeled.

And I have many variations of assisted 1 arm pullups that I do:

Negatives

Assisted by 1 finger on the other hand

Archer pullups

Assisted by pullup assistance machine: can bang out a few reps with 50lb assistance

Actual 1 arm chinups: so far can get about half way up

I'm training some sort of pulling everyday, basically try to work up to a rep max at fairly high intensity, then some easier sets afterwards.

woodberry approved

CellTech
2013-08-08, 04:22 AM
in for vids man

good luck, thats an admirable skill. ive never seen it done live

woodberry
2013-08-08, 04:34 PM
incline press up to 175x2, 140x13
row up to 245x1, 165x16
front squat up to 245x1

Then some curls and one arm pulldowns

woodberry
2013-08-10, 02:00 PM
Gym closed today.

Did shirtless street workout at neighborhood playground. Soccer moms, jailbait sloots, and little kids were mirin.

Didn't really track specific number of sets or reps, but did stuff like chinups, pullups, 2 fingers on each hand pullups, pulling up while pretending to climb stairs, one arm chinup negatives, L-sit pullups, jumping muscle ups, diamond pushups, pseudo planche pushups, pushups on fingertips, one arm pushups, pushups on fists, back of hands, uneven pushups, hanging leg raises, etc.

Tried to do a pushup "dance" routine like this guy, but I'm not quite as good yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtYlkIvGYBA

Also, some ~7 year old girl started to touch me and tried to flirt with me during the pushups. She grabbed my leg and licked it. WTF. She was sitting at my feet acting all spoiled and told me to give her a hand to stand up. I hammer curled her whole body up, but she still refused to stand, so I did that for a few reps. Can't believe kids are so light. Inb4 Chris Hansen.

Xoroe
2013-08-10, 02:52 PM
Why is this a goal for you? Just curious

I had a goal to do handstand pushups before. Never made it and gave up though.

woodberry
2013-08-10, 03:09 PM
Xoroe
I've always had a talent for chinups/pullups and it felt like a good goal to work towards. I'm getting extremely close now (definitely gonna get in before the end of the fall semester), so might as well as stick with it.
Also feelsgoodman to have the strongest weighted chinups in the gym.

And of course, like it or not, if you're bodybuilding, you're attention whoring to try to impress sloots and intimidate other guys (at least subconsciously). It's definitely alpha as fuark when you're drunk/high at a party, see a random ledge/door frame and pull yourself up with one arm. Hopefully you pullup into a position with your crouch right in a sloot's face. With one arm flexed and hanging onto the bar, you put the other hand on the sloot's head and skull fuck her. :D

For now that's just a fantasy situation, but definitely want to make it happen eventually when I get strong enough and settle down with a stable girlfriend, but not publicly at a party of course.

woodberry approved

Xoroe
2013-08-10, 03:12 PM
Xoroe
I've always had a talent for chinups/pullups and it felt like a good goal to work towards. I'm getting extremely close now (definitely gonna get in before the end of the fall semester), so might as well as stick with it.
Also feelsgoodman to have the strongest weighted chinups in the gym.

And of course, like it or not, if you're bodybuilding, you're attention whoring to try to impress sloots and intimidate other guys (at least subconsciously). It's definitely alpha as fuark when you're drunk/high at a party, see a random ledge/door frame and pull yourself up with one arm. Hopefully you pullup into a position with your crouch right in a sloot's face. With one arm flexed and hanging onto the bar, you put the other hand on the sloot's head and skull fuck her. :D

For now that's just a fantasy situation, but definitely want to make it happen eventually when I get strong enough and settle down with a stable girlfriend, but not publicly at a party of course.

woodberry approved

same reason I wanted to be able to jump into handstand and pump out a few reps like that, so cool man. Can you do muscle ups? Thats currently on my list.. I want it before Sept 28th (Tough Mudder)

woodberry
2013-08-10, 03:16 PM
same reason I wanted to be able to jump into handstand and pump out a few reps like that, so cool man. Can you do muscle ups? Thats currently on my list.. I want it before Sept 28th (Tough Mudder)

I need to do a slight jump for muscle ups and basically get all the way up with just the pull. I can actually pull high enough without jump (to upper abs), but it feels like I'm going to fuck up my wrists during the transitioning and pushing part.

Yeah man, handstand pushups are cool too. I just have terrible balance and feelsweirdman when upside down. I'm working towards planche pushups first.

Xoroe
2013-08-10, 03:18 PM
I need to do a slight jump for muscle ups and basically get all the way up with just the pull. I can actually pull high enough without jump (to upper abs), but it feels like I'm going to fuck up my wrists during the transitioning and pushing part.

Yeah man, handstand pushups are cool too. I just have terrible balance and feelsweirdman when upside down. I'm working towards planche pushups first.

I make it to upper abs over the bar but my strength just gives out to make the transition part :( sooon.jpg

woodberry
2013-08-10, 03:23 PM
I make it to upper abs over the bar but my strength just gives out to make the transition part :( sooon.jpg

We're all gonna make it brah.

For my wrist weakness, I've been doing pushups where one hand is normal while other is on back of wrist. Also just learned this exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DfV2tq-SPQ
It's surprisingly hard as fuark, I could barely do a few reps with 20lbs. So hopefully once I strengthen that up, I'd be able to easily do muscle ups. For weighted dips and chinups, I could easily rep out 2 plates, so I know the absolute strength is there, just need to work on wrists.

woodberry approved

Turkey
2013-08-11, 04:24 PM
This is cool, I think I'm going to train for it as well.

woodberry
2013-08-11, 06:31 PM
Today's training:

incline bench up to a few doubles at 175
assisted one arm chinup to a few singles at -40lbs
front squats up to a few doubles at 225
some other random chit.

woodberry
2013-08-12, 09:55 AM
For future reference, this is what I'd recommend to novices:

A:
squat 4x3, try to rep max on last set, if 6+, add weight next time
bench 4x3, try to rep max on last set, if 6+, add weight next time
weighted chinups 6x2, try to rep max on last set, if 8+, add weight next time

B:
deadlift 2x2, try to rep max on last set, if 4+, add weight next time
overhead press 4x3, try to rep max on last set, if 6+, add weight next time
barbell rows 6x2, try to rep max on last set, if 8+, add weight next time

C:
squat 4x3, try to rep max on last set, if 6+, add weight next time
incline bench 4x3, try to rep max on last set, if 6+, add weight next time
weighted pullups 6x2, try to rep max on last set, if 8+, add weight next time

Then some optional cardio afterward. I prefer erg (rowing machine), something like 500m x3 at resistance setting 4 with 90 seconds rest between sets is nice. Also do optional curls, calf raise, abs, and facepulls if you want.

woodberry approved

DirkDiggler
2013-08-12, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EndhsgC2wCU

some inspiration

woodberry
2013-08-12, 02:56 PM
DirkDiggler

Thanks brah. Hopefully I can aim for that some day.

Didn't feel so recovered for today's training, so only bodyweight squats and pushups.

woodberry
2013-08-14, 03:25 AM
Worked out in the morning today, and edited stats to show that I looked a lot leaner and weighed less.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/bodyfat-equation-yuhasz.htm
7.57% by the college formula and 8.00% by the NHL formula.

Incline press up to 175x2
deficit trap bar deadlift up to 385x1x2
parallel grip chinups with 60s rest between each set: 20, 12, 8, 7, 6
I guess my endurance really sucks.

woodberry
2013-08-15, 01:14 PM
assisted OAC up to -35lbs
OHP up to 135x3
Jumping paused squats up to 295
Reverse grip bench press 135x5x5, getting used to the movement
Chinups with 1 min rest between sets: 20, 13, 6, 6, 6; biceps too pumped.

GH16
2013-08-15, 05:20 PM
Currently, I'm very close to doing full 1 arm chinups.

For this, I'm doing weighted chinups, pullups, and parallel grip pullups. 1RMs are something around +135, +100, +120.
I also do some one arm pulldowns, not exactly sure how much weight, since the cables in my gym aren't labeled.

And I have many variations of assisted 1 arm pullups that I do:

Negatives

Assisted by 1 finger on the other hand

Archer pullups

Assisted by pullup assistance machine: can bang out a few reps with 50lb assistance

Actual 1 arm chinups: so far can get about half way up

I'm training some sort of pulling everyday, basically try to work up to a rep max at fairly high intensity, then some easier sets afterwards.

woodberry approved

gh16 approved

woodberry
2013-08-16, 01:22 PM
incline close grip bench: 175x5 easy, I guess that's a PR
front squat up to 225x1, meh
L-sit pullups: 15, 12, 10, 10, 10
RGBP: 135x5x4, 145x5
calves and curls.

Cutbrah
2013-08-16, 10:57 PM
Do you also do one arm pull ups where you hold the other hand on the lifting arm?
It helps a lot because you dont need to stabilize the body as much as with a true one hander imo.

woodberry
2013-08-17, 01:52 PM
Do you also do one arm pull ups where you hold the other hand on the lifting arm?
It helps a lot because you dont need to stabilize the body as much as with a true one hander imo.

I've tried that before, but feels like a pointless exercise. Plenty of better, similar exercises.

Cutbrah
2013-08-17, 10:41 PM
I've tried that before, but feels like a pointless exercise. Plenty of better, similar exercises.

Like the ones in the OP you use? I can do 1-2 reps with right hand, none with left.

Fap arm of peace lol. Good luck with it anyway, will be following this log.

woodberry
2013-08-18, 12:11 AM
Like the ones in the OP you use? I can do 1-2 reps with right hand, none with left.

Fap arm of peace lol. Good luck with it anyway, will be following this log.

Yes, thanks.
Do you mean 1-2 reps full one arm chin or your variation?

Cutbrah
2013-08-18, 03:05 AM
Yes, thanks.
Do you mean 1-2 reps full one arm chin or your variation?

Yea real ones. My right arm has always been stronger though, just like i throw like a girl with left.

woodberry
2013-08-18, 03:17 AM
Yea real ones. My right arm has always been stronger though, just like i throw like a girl with left.

Nice. How are your weighted pullups and deadlifts?

Cutbrah
2013-08-18, 03:20 AM
Nice. How are your weighted pullups and deadlifts?

Never done weighted pullups, only lat pull downs. I could take the whole rack (225Lbs approx.) before my shoulder snapped, but im getting there again.

Deadlifts; a double of 350Lbs.

Im a small guy though so im relatively strong weighing in at just 147Lbs.

I still think the hardest part of one arm chin ups is the body trying to flail around lol

woodberry
2013-08-18, 03:22 AM
Never done weighted pullups, only lat pull downs. I could take the whole rack (225Lbs approx.) before my shoulder snapped, but im getting there again.

Deadlifts; a double of 350Lbs.

Im a small guy though so im relatively strong weighing in at just 147Lbs.

That's a strong pulldown for a small guy!

Cutbrah
2013-08-18, 03:24 AM
That's a strong pulldown for a small guy!

Yea it was :(

I think i can pull down around 185 now. Feelsbadmen. But ill get back there eventually, i just dont want to risk something snapping again so its small steps for me now.

behappy
2013-08-18, 03:42 AM
im trying to learn muscle ups but i cant seem to get my chest high enough up the bar which is weird because i can do 3x5 1arm pull ups while keeping left hand on my pulling hand+some weighted pull ups with 90 lbs.The only time i managed to get my chest high enough i couldnt switch from pull to dip position.
Any tips brah ?

Cutbrah
2013-08-18, 03:44 AM
im trying to learn muscle ups but i cant seem to get my chest high enough up the bar which is weird because i can do 3x5 1arm pull ups while keeping left hand on my pulling hand+some weighted pull ups with 90 lbs.The only time i managed to get my chest high enough i could switch from pull to dip position.
Any tips brah ?

Use leg and body momentum/swing to get there at first, then slowly use less and less until you can do them without.

woodberry
2013-08-18, 03:52 AM
im trying to learn muscle ups but i cant seem to get my chest high enough up the bar which is weird because i can do 3x5 1arm pull ups while keeping left hand on my pulling hand+some weighted pull ups with 90 lbs.The only time i managed to get my chest high enough i could switch from pull to dip position.
Any tips brah ?

Same with me brah, although I can pull to upper abs. I know I've the strength to do it, just have a bit of fear of breaking my wrists and shoulders during the transitioning. I'll work on wrist exercises before I try it again.

woodberry
2013-08-18, 10:03 AM
Another street workout today.
A lot of reps of weird pushup and pullup variations.

woodberry
2013-08-22, 07:59 AM
haven't logged on here for a few days, these few days were all light bodyweight stuff.

assisted 1 arm chin up to +40lb x3
incline press up to 185x2
trapbar dl up to 405x2
rgbp up to 135x5x4, 155x5
some calves, L-sit pullups, and curls.

OP
2013-08-22, 09:48 AM
Dat feel when bigger you get, the lower your relative strength gets and harder stuff like this becomes... Good luck though, will be mirin hard when attained. Post montage video of you doing them in random places/public when you accomplish this.

woodberry
2013-08-23, 08:14 AM
Dat feel when bigger you get, the lower your relative strength gets and harder stuff like this becomes... Good luck though, will be mirin hard when attained. Post montage video of you doing them in random places/public when you accomplish this.

Thanks brah. Probably won't bother with a montage yet. I'm probably close to doing 1 rep with bad form, but for montage, I'd like to be able to get 3-5 with good form first.

Today's training:
OHP: 135x3x2
Jumping squats: 185x3x3
Some vertical jumps
RVBP: 135x5x4, 160x5
L-sit pullups: 10x6
chinups: 20

woodberry
2013-08-24, 05:22 PM
squat up to 335x3
pendlay rows 185x3x5. Explosive reps
RVBP 165x5, 135x5, 15, 12, 12

magnusbalotelli
2013-08-25, 03:16 AM
Mirin so hard. Do you run any gear? Can you post a pic of your full physique? Wish I was as strong as you.

woodberry
2013-08-25, 06:04 AM
Mirin so hard. Do you run any gear? Can you post a pic of your full physique? Wish I was as strong as you.

Thanks brah. Did epistane before (legal prohormone), but it's quite mild and for a short time, idk if I kept any of the gains.
Probably gonna update avi in a few weeks once I get back up to 180+ lbs again.

Latino
2013-08-25, 09:17 AM
inb4 a biceps tear

i can only do 8 chin ups

and 5 pull ups

strong life

hopefully someday i reach 20 pull ups

genetics of peace

i would dare to say that my arms are as long as woodberry

manlets can easily do pull ups

my cousing 5'5 manlet can easily do one arm pullups, and he barely lifts

woodberry
2013-08-26, 09:05 PM
Latino

Thanks for stopping by, brah!
Manlets definitely have an easier time. Most of them who can do them have very short levers and only weigh 130lbs, so they don't have much to pull.

Took a rest day today, did a light workout yesterday.

Chinup negatives, db incline press, smith machine floor press, walking lunges.
Single leg work is definitely my weak point (bad balance). I really hate doing it (prefer to just squat heavy), but I'll try to dedicate at one day a week to it for the next few months (inb4 I skip it next week).

woodberry
2013-08-28, 09:09 AM
yesterday:
benched up to 225x2
jumps
L-sit pullups 20, 15, 13, 12

today:
squat 345x2
explosive pendlay rows 205x3x3
clapping pullups 10x3
rvbp 165x8, 145x12, 12, 10

woodberry
2013-08-29, 02:37 PM
weighted chinups +145, +100x3
speed bench press 185x3x4
lunges 95x10x3 each leg

woodberry
2013-08-31, 06:11 PM
bench 225x6
jump squats 225 for a few singles
seated row for sets of 12
L-sit pullups for sets of 15

woodberry
2013-09-01, 10:33 AM
might have developed a bit of overuse tendinitis in biceps from all the pullups. :(
Gonna switch all pulling to light deadlifts+hammer curls for at least a week.

Pistol squats into jumps and pushups on fists today.

woodberry
2013-09-05, 01:46 PM
highlights of past few days:
bench 235x5
deadlift 405x2
jum squat 315
L-sit pullups 25
snatch grip DLs 225x10x3