Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Just measure the calf bro Zee Why Zee Zee's Avatar
    Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day done today. Pullups for 8, then archer pullups for 5, then a top set of 8, then 6, then pullups for 8. Nice to see a PR on that top set. Inverted rows with bodyweight for 15, then 5kg added weight for 15, then bodyweight for 13, totally lost steam there.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 10, 15kg for 11, 10, then 12kg for 10, PR added rep to the top set. Concentration hammer curls with 12.5kg for 10, 11, 11, solid PR. Reverse flys with 15.5kg for 8, 10, 11, 11.

Bodyweight leg extensions for 3 sets of 7, PR. I did these with 13.5kg dumbbells in each hand resting on my thighs & this felt much better. Even with 10kg close to my knees it just wasn't enough weight to really fix the problem of my knees tipping up when I get really far back, but this amount of weight is great. Nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People who live awesome and amazing lives don't spend time posting on forums about how awesome and amazing their lives are.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^Push day done the next day, 3 days prior to writing this now. Didn't log but I'll log the next push day tomorrow.

Pull day just completed a few minutes ago. Pullups for 8, then archer pullups for 5, then 8, 7, PR adding a rep to the last set, then one more set of pullups for 8. Inverted rows for 15, then 14 with 5kg added, then 13 with bodyweight again. Shit, keep losing steam by here due to the fatigue from pullups.

Anyway, bicep time. Concentration curls with 12kg for 10, then 15kg for 11, 10, tried for 11 but failed, then 12kg again for 10. Onto concentration hammer curls with additional 0.5kg weight, 13kg for 10, 11, 10.

Nordic leg curls 5 sets of 7, then bent over raises with 16kg for 8, 10, 10, 10, going up in weight by 0.5kg after a couple months. PR on bodyweight leg extensions, 3 sets of 7, 8, 8, adding a rep to the second & third set.
    People who live awesome and amazing lives don't spend time posting on forums about how awesome and amazing their lives are.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Push day today, managed a great PR on ring one arm pushups from the knee, 4 sets of 7, 8, 9, 8, adding a rep to the third & fourth set. Pike press with feet on the floor for 10, then on the countertop for 8, 6, somehow these felt much harder today, but then I did 14 reps with feet back on the floor, so PR on that particular set.

One set of dumbbell skullcrushers with 14kg for 11, then sphinx press with feet on the floor for 6 then 5 more from the knees. Second set, 5 on the floor & 7 on the knees, & 11 on the last set, on the knees.

Seated laterals with 8.5kg, going up in weight by 0.5kg & managing a PR 3 sets of 12. I am absolutely loving these lateral raises seated & with the pause a third of the way up. Activation is strong. Dumbbell skullcrushers with 14kg for 13, 12 to finish, another PR. Good day for triceps.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Was feeling demotivated & slightly tired in the week so I skipped my pull & push sessions. Working full time plus I've also been studying to get a certificate which is scheduled to take 1 year but I'm 6 weeks in & have almost completed half the entire course, but definitely grinding harder than what's 100% sustainable.

Back at it today & starting with a push workout. Ring one arm pushups from the knee for 8, 9, 9, 8, adding a rep to the first & third set, feeling good. Pike press with feet on the floor for 10, feet on the countertop for 7, 7, then feet on the floor for 15, adding another rep to that last set.

Switching it up, I'm gonna put quad work in today & do abs when I do pull day. Bodyweight leg extensions for 8, 9, 8, really nice PR here, loving the peak tension when my hamstrings press against my calves, like an ATG squat for someone who can't ATG squat.

One set of db skullcrushers with 14kg for 11, then sphinx press from the feet for 7 & on the knees for 5, then on feet for 5 & knees for 7, then on knees for 11. Sickening PR on seated laterals, 8.5kg for 11, 12, 12, keeping reps the same while adding 0.5kg to each dumbbell. Fantastic. DB skullcrusher to finish for 13, 13, time to go up on these too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pull day. Pullups for 8, archer pullups for 5, 8, 5 - totally lost steam on that last set, followed by pullups for 8. Inverted rows with 5kg for 10, 13, then bodyweight for 12, totally lost steam on that one.

Concentration curls with 12.5kg for 10, 15kg for 11, 10, 12.5kg for 10. Concentration hammer curls with 13kg for 10, 11, 10, adding a rep to the second set. Reverse flys with 16kg for 8, 10, 10, 10.

I've been casually following a little internet beef right now between the Renaissance Periodization crowd, (Mike Israetel, Jared Feather, Charlie), & Lyle McDonald. Essentially Lyle is correct about the thing he's annoyed about. This video by Geoffrey Verity Schofield explains it pretty well.

Essentially the RP guys have reps in reserve, RIR, prescribed the same way you'd prescribe reps & sets, ie actually stating a range for what they do & recommend you do. The issue is, by all accounts they don't go as close to failure as they say they do. There's footage of Brad Schofield in that very video doing lat pulldowns to failure & it was honestly shocking to see how easy it looked, & then thinking about how many studies this man has conducted & how he views failure.

The entire thing brings forth a massive disconnect where I compare my volumes to other people on the internet & I'm assessing my RPE actually accurately, since I try for PRs whenever I can & the physical discomfort of a slow final rep pales compared to the elation of knowing I've added a rep to an exercise where if I'd not, it would've meant the same performance as previously done & thus no growth. It's just shocking to me how people avoid it when they say they recommend 0-2 RIR. I really cannot fathom stopping a set short when a PR is on the cards. That's so foreign to me & yet that seems to be what some people do & without knowing that, I'd be applying apples to oranges in listening to people's volume recommendations & take them at their word for RIR. Lyle is basically correct that 10-20 sets a week is sufficient for almost everybody. You could go a little higher for shoulders. Upper back too but training hard 20 sets should be enough to get it done.

I'd encourage anybody who pays close attention to the general volume recommendations of certain people to, if possible, view their training. When you can see what level of RIR in their training occurs, & then look at their volume recommendations, it tells a much fuller story on the actual stimulus they recommend.

I'll also say this. The Goldilocks zone absolutely applies here. You don't need to fail reps. Not every set should be to failure. But as you progressively overload more & more, you should find that's what starts happening.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2021-02-27 at 05:25 PM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Push day. Ring one arm pushups from the knee for 8, 10, 9, 9, PR. Onto pike press with feet on the floor for 10, feet on the countertop for 7, 7, no PR, but then feet on the floor again for 16, which IS a PR.

Bodyweight leg extensions for 9, 9, 8, adding a rep to the first set. One set of db skullcrushers with 14.5kg for 11, then sphinx press for 8 from the feet, 4 from the knees, second set 6 from the feet, 5 from the knees. Final set, 11 from the knees.

Seated laterals with 9kg for 3 sets of 10, & back to db skullcrushers with 14.5kg for 12, 10, damn this felt heavy.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day went alright. Pullups for 8, then archer pullups for 5, 8, 6, then pullups for 8. Inverted rows with 5kg for 10, then 13 top set, & bodyweight for last set for 13.

Actually sick PRs on curls. Concentration curls with 12.5kg for 10, 15kg for 12, 10, adding a rep to the top set, then 12.5kg for 10. Concentration hammer curls with 13kg for 11, 11, 10, adding a rep to the first & second set.

Rev flys with 16kg for 8, 10, 10, 10, then nordic leg curls for 4 sets of 7.

I was just re-watching the Dorian Yates Blood & Guts videos, all linked below. They did a really good job of it, production, editing, music, it's marketed in a very cool way & I've got to appreciate it. The routine itself had me thinking about how hard each set is pushed. People say Dorian did 1 set to failure, (or beyond), on each exercise, & if you watch the video it even says so, but people miss that the first exercise is 3 sets, first set probably RPE 4, second set RPE 7, then the top set, & for the other exercises done for two sets, it's one set RPE 7, then the top set. RPE 7 isn't nothing. It's a work set. People don't always pick up on that. Once you factor that in, his extremely low volume routine when looking at work sets isn't nearly as low, plus when you factor in he trained in 6 day blocks so it's not exactly X sets per week just from looking at the days. I still think it's too low for me but not for somebody incline benching 4 plates a side.

It just adds realization when you see different people doing quite different numbers of sets training with the same goal in mind, when you apply the intensity layer over your eyes & see the people doing a lot use lower RPE & the people doing less use higher RPE, generally.

It's all different ways to skin the cat, & I could be wrong, but I feel like the single best way to train for hypertrophy, (most of the time), might be to initiate an exercise with a set, or two, (3+ sets without lowering your performance afterwards is sandbagging too much), difficult enough to influence adaption but not enough to negatively affect your performance, i.e. no downsides, literally free volume, followed by 1-2 sets trying to hit something you've never hit before, followed by a load drop set for further stimulus. Dorian's routine with a backoff set after the top set & higher frequency, (every 4 days instead of every 6), for guys who aren't already massive bodybuilders could really see a lot of growth IMO. Mike Mentzer isn't to be taken seriously however with his recommendations to train a muscle every 16 days with like 2 sets to mega-failure.

Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2021-03-03 at 10:43 PM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've been seriously messed up. I caught a virus on about March 10 which had me struggling & ultimately ended up in hospital on the 23rd & had me there for 17 days. Serious lack of energy & appetite, serious fevers & a lot of inflammation. It was made much more serious by my crohns disease. Unable to eat right, unable to lift, lost 6.5kg. Thinking of joining a no joining fee gym to build back as quickly as possible with exercises better able to isolate. It's been hard times this past month.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819