Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just measure the calf bro Zee Why Zee Zee's Avatar
    Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yesterday I trained chest and back. Today I just did shoulders, biceps and forearms.

Started with rack pulls just below the knee. Basically bar touching the squishy part below the knee cap. 4X8 with 100kg. Benched 75kg for 3X6 and 80kg rows for 3X6. Machine chest press for 4 sets of 8-10 with differing loads with the pin stack and 5X10 machine rows with 25kg a side. 120kg static hold for grip, for 13, 15, 13 seconds. Good to PR on something. Finished with 2 sets of 10 on Pec deck.

Today was chill. 25kg barbell curls, first time conventionally curling in ages, for 14, 12, 12, 10 reps with 45 seconds rest. Laterals with 9kg for 18, 12, 12, 10 and 5kg reverse flies for 6X12. Wrist curls with 20kg for 20, 20, 16, 16, and finally Haney shrugs for 4 sets of 10 with 80kg.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/brad.schoen...13643959154321

Facebook link to Brad Schoenfeld talking about several studies which will be published soon. They basically indicate that there can be a minor benefit to 2X a week frequency over 1X, but past that point, there's not generally any additional benefit for even higher frequency, for muscle building.

Due to their design, not all studies are equal. Some studies make conclusions which are simply unfounded, or sometimes even counter productive, due to their poor design. I think this study will be SOLID, because its conclusion seems to tell us something which we can see is a general truth. I don't think training a muscle once every 7 days is the best possible training style for most people, but the fact of the matter is that there wouldn't be as many jacked people on bro splits as there are if bro splits weren't just about as good as higher frequency training, when you account for volume. It doesn't matter very much. The volume matters.

It's funny because there are clearly contradicting variables in how people new to lifting weights should train. Higher frequency programs are by and large the most commonly recommended programs. But on the other hand, untrained people are less conditioned to weight lifting than trained people, so by the nature of it, as well as requiring less work to grow, they also need longer to actually recover fully. Now of course they still progress on high frequency, and there are two reasons for this.

1) On relatively complex movements like squats, their ability to actually activate and exhaust the muscles is relatively difficult for them because the true limiting factor at this point is their skill.
    2) They might not be fully recovered from their squat session 48 hours ago, but the adaption is so powerful that they can still add 5-10lb and do it for as many reps.

However... despite my sticking up for lower frequency, there is basically zero doubt that noobs practicing semi-complex exercises, (squat, deadlift, bench press, OHP), on a more regular basis is objectively superior to learning the movement. And that's probably the most important thing in those first few months. Basically, their best bet would likely involve the freeweight compounds for higher frequency, and things like curls for lower frequency, since they're such simple movements with extreme ease to learn, and just a few sets would justify multiple days recovery for somebody who previously didn't even lift weights anyway. Things get more complicated when we talk about little movements which are also quite hard to really *get*, like lateral raises or reverse flies, as there is a fair degree of skill in activating these muscles. But that's a big topic for another time.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just finished training chest and back. Went well. 77.5kg bench for what was planned to be 3 sets of 5. I got that, and hit 6 on the last set, showing an improvement in strength. Rack pulls just below the knee for 4 sets of 5 with 122.5kg, (last time was 120kg for 4X5). Absolutely targets my lower back really well. Machine chest press for 4 sets of 10, and Barbell rows for 3X6 with 80kg. Finished off chest with dumbbell flies, (as this particular gym doesn't even have a pec deck machine), with 12.5kg for 2 sets of 12. After machine rows for 5X10, I finished with grip work, 100kg for 3 sets of 25 seconds, (this is also the gym with the heavier smith machine - I'm happy to say I've hit 30 seconds in the gym I frequent during the weekdays).

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Infrequently posting. I suppose I want to have actual news, rather than posting the same workout. Today was good.

Chest and back today. After two massive mcmuffins I rolled up to the gym. 80kg bench for 3 sets of 5, a post-illness PR. 80kg was my 3 rep max only a few months ago so this is a good sign. Had to go to the bathroom afterwards so I did another chest exercise, machine press. 60 for 4 sets of 10 - but I hit 11 on the last set for a PR.

Onto rack pulls below the knee. First time I went heavy was 120kg 4X5. Second time was 122.5kg 4X5. Today I hit 125kg for 4 sets of 5. It's going in a good direction. 90kg for 3 sets of 4 followed. 5X10 on machine rows and finished with static holds with 100kg. Really bad result. Only managed 25, 25 and 20 seconds. This was the heavier smith machine of all the gyms I go to but I was expecting 25 for all 3 sets. But with that said I hit a bench PR so today is a good day.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As stated, only posting when I have something to post. I'd like to compare this post to the one directly above it so that the improvement is clear. All done at the same gym with the same equipment.

Rack pull steadily climbing. 122.5kg for 4 sets of 8.

Bench PR followed. 82.5kg for 5, 6, (didn't want to wait for the last set to test), 5. Feels great.

Barbell row with 85kg for 3 sets of 6. Another PR. Chest press with 65kg for 11, then realizing it was time to up the weight, 70kg for 3 more sets of 11.

Machine rows with 25kg a side for 5X10, and then close grip machine press 3X10 with 60kg.

Static holds with 100kg for 3 sets of 25 seconds finally.

Wrist curls with 20kg for 20, 20, 20, 16.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2017-11-17 at 07:51 PM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    More goodness to report on. I suspect that the medication I started taking last Monday, which has significantly improved my Crohns disease, has improved my recovery and therefore my strength.

Rack pulls below the knee with 140kg for the first time. And, 4 sets of 5 as planned. I'm going to be increasing the weight 2.5kg a week without issue for a little while. Also if I didn't say, I shrug at the top of every rep.

Bench PR! 85kg for 3X4 was the plan today, with an AMRAP if I suspected a PR. Last workout was 82.5kg for 6. Today, after 2 sets of 4, I hit the AMRAP and got 7 reps. Nice.

Barbell rows with 90 for 3 sets of 5. Chest press with 75kg for 10, 10, 8, 8. Machine rows for 5X10. Close grip chest press with 60kg for 3 sets of 10.

Static holds with 130kg for 3 sets of 10 seconds. Another PR on wrist curls, managed 30kg for 4 sets of 12 reps.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Trucking along. Because of the fact I've been adding 2.5kg to my rack pull on both heavy and lighter day, the lighter day has become proportionally harder. In the start, 4 sets of 8 with 100kg, I was using 80% of the weight I was using on the heavy 4X5 day, 120kg. Yesterday I did 125kg for 4 sets of 8. 125kg is 87.7% of 142.5kg, which I haven't done yet but will do next workout. Eventually I'll slow down the aggressiveness of progression on the lighter day.

Bench press kinda crushed me today. I just managed 87.5kg for 3 sets of 4. 3X3 with 90kg next time, and then I'll start over with something like 3X6 again.

PR on barbell rows!!! 3 sets of 7 with 80kg. First time I've done more than 3X6 with 80kg. I believe the rack pulls are helping.

Chest press for 4X10, different machine to the one where I listed the weight but I've never done 4X10 with this weight on this machine so that's good.

5X10 rows with 25kg a side and close grip machine press 3X10. Static holds with 100kg for 3 sets of 30 seconds. Wrist curls with 20kg for 20, 20, 15, 10. A worse performance on these than I've done in a long time... But my forearms were just so absolutely pumped that it was unmanageable.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Alright, more PR action today. 142.5kg rackpull for 4 sets of 5, (though 125kg for 4X8 last workout probably indicates this was already possible). I know from today that 145kg will come up, too.

Bench with 90kg for 3X3, hit 4 reps on the last set. Barbell rows with 85kg for 3X6. However I think this felt slightly easier than last time. In a few weeks I'll add 2.5kg to this, for the same reps, I reckon.

PR on chest press. 75kg for 4 sets of 10, 10, 10, 9, (last time on this machine was 10, 10, 8, 8). Machine rows 5X10 with 25kg a side, and then back to the chest press for some close grip pressing to finish up, 60kg for 10, 10, 9.

PR on static holds in the smith machine! This gym has the heaviest smith machine, but I managed 130kg for 3 sets of 13, 13, 17 seconds. Great stuff.

PR on wrist curls too, 30kg for 4 sets of 13 reps. I'll be using a heavier bar next heavy day on these.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Another successful rack pull session, 127.5kg for 4 sets of 8. Can't decide whether this is theoretically more difficult than 142.5kg for 4X5 but I managed this alright and can tell that 130kg 4X8 will be doable.

92.5kg bench 3X3, (dropping back down next workout), and 3X6 barbell row with 90kg. PR on chest press, finally managed 75kg for 4 sets of 10. 5X10 machine rows, and close grip chest press with 60kg for 3 sets of 10. Static holds, 25 seconds for 3 sets, and wrist curls for 20, 20, 18, 15 with 20kg.

145kg rack pull for 4 sets of 5 next workout. I can see it happening but what I'm really interested in is the perceived difficulty and how likely it will ensure I get the next weight increase.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I changed gyms. First time working out at the new place. Massive floor area, like World Gym in Del Ray. It's on the third, top, floor of a three story building with each story being like 30 feet high, with the second floor being a car park, on the edge of the CBD. No more worrying about parking in 1 hour parking time limits in the previous gym in town, basically.

I started with rack pulls, and actually did them from lower than ever before by maybe an inch. In between where the bar would be on a conventional deadlift and a rack pull at the knee. I managed 145kg for 4 sets of 5, which is another PR and is great, but does make me nervous about the eventual stall. On my last set, I actually felt failure rumbling along like the monstrous hum of the shaking metal tracks, driven to fright by the gargantuan weighty thundering train which heads purposefully towards it. Seriously tho failure felt closer than it has before with heavy weight so we'll see how long this linear thing lasts.

Benching on a new bench and with a new bar doesn't tend to go well. Today was 80kg for 3 sets of 6. It has been nearly 5 weeks since I last deloaded so possibly slightly weaker due to this. The plan is two more workouts, (and my lighter shoulder and hammer curl session). It was this mediocre performance which made the next one so sweet. Using the same barbell and weight, I did barbell rows from the floor and got an all-time PR of 80kg for 3 sets of 8. This feels damn good and I know for sure that rack pulls have been the single greatest contributor to these improving.

Used a new chest press. They have like 3 different ones and I think I'll use a different one next time. IIRC 130lb for 11 and 150lb for 10 10, 9. Used a damn fantastic machine row. Fantastic for the reason that the handle moves freely up and down. 130lb for 5 sets of 10.

Close grip machine press with a different machine, some weight I don't recall for 3 sets of 12. It was the perfect weight for 3X12 though... Static holds in a completely new Smith Machine. Thicker bar, but also more grippy. 110kg for 20 seconds, (more of a test run since each machine has a little different weight to it), and 2 more sets with 130kg for 20 seconds twice. Finished with wrist curls with 20kg for 20, 20, 15, 15. Funny how this often goes abysmally but my heavier days have been trucking along well. It seems to be working at least.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Another solid day. Performed rack pulls for 4X8 with 130kg for the very first time. I may have hit 9 reps on the last set but can't confirm. Couldn't have got another rep IMO. Just one more session before I'll take a deload then get back into it.

Better day on bench than last time. 82.5kg for 3 sets of 6. 85kg rows for 3X7 and then onto assistance stuff. 10, 10, 10, 9 on a different chest press to last time -can't recall weight - but this one was slightly better. Machine rows 135 for 5X10. Close grip chest press 3X12.

Good day for static holds. Managed 110kg for 3 sets of 30 seconds. Finished with wrist curls with 35kg for the very first time for 4X8 - about as heavy as you'd want to go on these.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Another decent day in the gym. This was the final workout before deloading, (not including a light shoulder session without any pressing). So the fatigue was a little high but nothing crazy.147.5kg rack pulls for 4 sets of 5. This was really tough though. Eventually I will switch programming on this.

85kg bench. 5 reps on the first set, but I think the bar was slightly lighter than standard so I went up to 87.5kg but in reality I think it was just 85. Two more sets of 5.

90kg rows for 3 sets of 6. Chest press for 4X10, 9 on the last set tho. Machine rows with 135 again for 5X10. Close grip chest press for 15, 12, 12 with increasing loads. Different machine and I was just trying to find myself there.

Static holds went well. Used the smith machine which just goes straight up and down, for the first time on this movement. 140kg for 3 sets of 12 seconds.

Went on a different direction for forearms. Did 5kg plate wrist curls with my forearm resting on my thigh, superset with reverse wrist curls done the same way. 4X10 on regular, 4X8 on reverse.

A real highlight right at the end. I decided to do hammer curls today. Normally I don't have fatigue on these since I just do laterals, cable rear delt fly and Haney shrugs before whereas today was rack pull, rows, static hold and wrist curls... still managed 4 sets of 8 with 20kg dumbbells. Nice way to finish the training cycle.

Edit: Thoughts on rack pull programming in the future. There is still some room for linear weekly improvement. However it is much harder to increase weight and do four sets of X reps than it is to increase weight and do a single set. However you still need volume. The obvious solution is to perform a top set, then take say 10% of the weight off and do several more sets. I don't have to worry about other leg work inhibiting me since I don't do it, so I can program this lift more aggressively than otherwise.

I'd probably set the weight used on the lighter day as a % of the heavy day which I know can be performed without much hassle, and hit the tough reps on that top set on my heavy day.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2017-12-10 at 12:35 AM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Trained neck for the first time yesterday along with non-pressing shoulder work. New gym doesn't have 15kg dumbbells so I did laterals with 16kg for 8, and then 14kg for 8, 8, 8. Cable rear delt fly for 6 sets of 12 with the second lowest pin.

Lying on a flat bench I did neck curls for 3 sets of 12, 10, 10. Stomach down on an incline bench also with 5kg I did neck extensions for 3 sets of 10. The neck curls felt great. Very natural. Neck extensions, less so.

Did machine lateral raises for 2 sets of 12 before Haney shrugs with 60kg for 4 sets of 12.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Back in the gym. 6 days after my last full body workout... Initially I was going to take another day or two, but because I'm going on a holiday after Christmas for 6 days, it would be stupid for me to completely deload 2 weeks prior to a 1 week absence from the gym.

Oh man today was good. Worked up to a top set on rack pulls instead of 4 straight sets. 147.5kg for 4 sets of 5 last week was so tough that I worried that my top set with 150kg would be underwhelming. But it went well. Pulled it for 7 reps. Followed with 140kg for 3 relatively easy sets of 5.

Great bench day. 87.5kg for 3X5. Barbell rows with 80kg for 3X8. Chest press for 4X8 and machine rows for 5X10 with 135. Close grip chest press 3X12.

Good day for static holds. Managed 110kg for 3 sets of 25 seconds. Basically doing a static shrug the whole time while I try to keep the bar in my hands.

Experimenting at the end. I performed two different forearm exercises. The first was wrist curls seated, forearms resting on my thighs and a 5kg plate in each hand... The other was a standing hammer grip wrist curl with the same weight. 4X10. It seems to me that actual reverse grip curls and forearm curls aren't really efficient movements. They're like a reverse calf raise. There's simply not much muscle there to target. Meanwhile the hammer grip wrist curl smashes the brachioradialis, which is what I'm looking for. I want 3 things, basically.

1) Strong hands
    2) Thick forearm flexors (inner forearm, where most of the meat is)
    3) Thick brachioradialis (outer forearm).

Reverse grip stuff just seems like it targets the smaller muscles in the forearm while hitting the brachioradialis just ok. Well I can say actually being specific and wrist curling with a hammer grip hits it harder.

I tried hammer grip wrist curls with dumbbells afterwards and it was stupidly easy. Plates are way better since they feel far heavier due to lever arm and physics. Hell, you could hold a metal rod in one hand with the tip touching the ground in front of you and use your brachioradialis to raise it off the ground and that would also work fine. AlphaDestiny gave me the idea of the neutral grip wrist curl but I'm proud to say I thought of using plates myself - though AD also gave me the idea of wrist curls with plates so all I really did was put 2+2 together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123