Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Just measure the calf bro Zee Why Zee Zee's Avatar
    Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day two days ago, pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups with 2.5kg added weight, & the string between the handles a little more taut, for 8, 8, 8. PR on inverted rows, 3 sets of 12, 12, 12. Some exercises you don't wanna go too high on the reps because the emphasis changes. On these I'm glad to say it stays on the mid-back. The problem is the higher the reps go, the more almost going to failure takes out on you. I'll think about adding weight maybe.

Pistol squats for 6, 6, 5, PR, then concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9, then 10, 10, 10, adding a rep to the last set. Bent over hammer curls with head on the table with 22kg for 13, 13. Bent over raises with 15kg for 10, 10, 10, 11, PR at last! Nordic leg curls for 5X7, first & last set bringing the hips back to bring the RPE down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push day. One arm pushups from knees with 5kg on the back for 10, then 15kg on the back, heavier than ever before, for 6, 6, 7. Need to put a piece of clothing between the 10kg plate & the 5kg plate to stop the little one from sliding. Pike press with feet on the kitchen counter for 7, 7, 7, PR adding a rep to the last set. Hollow body situps for 6, 6.

One set of lying tricep extensions with 11kg for 10 then PR on sphinx press, 8 full reps & 2 lowering from feet, lifting from knees on first set, second set in the same fashion for 6 & 4, adding a rep from the feet, 13 on final set from the knees.

Laterals paused with 9kg for 11, 12, 11, adding a rep to the second set, & finally lying tricep extensions with 11kg for 13, 13, nice PR.
    People who live awesome and amazing lives don't spend time posting on forums about how awesome and amazing their lives are.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day, pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups with 2.5kg added weight for 8, 9, 8, adding a rep to the second set. Also adding a rep to the second set on inverted rows, hitting this for 12, 13, 12, good stuff. Pistol squats for 5, 6, 5.

Then, onto concentration curls, 12kg for 9, 9, 11, 11, 10, adding a rep to third & fourth set. Concentration hammer curls with forehead resting on the table with 22kg for 2 sets of 14, 14, adding a rep to both sets. Reverse flys with 15kg for 10, 10, 10, 11, & nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push day completed a few minutes ago. One arm pushup from knees with 5kg on my back for 10, then 15kg on my back for 6, 7, 7, adding a rep to the second to last set. Pike press, feet on the floor for 10, then feet on the countertop for 8, 7, 7, PR with an added rep to the first set. Hollow body situps for 6, 6.

One set of lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 10, then sphinx press, tried for 9 & failed, hit two more from the knees. Second set, PR, hitting 7 reps from the feet, then 3 lowering from the feet & lifting from the knees. 13 on the last set, from the knees.

Paused laterals with 9kg for 11, 12, 11, & back to lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 13, 12, heavier than ever before.
    People who live awesome and amazing lives don't spend time posting on forums about how awesome and amazing their lives are.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day yesterday. Starting with pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups with 2.5kg added weight for 9, 9, 8, adding a rep to the first set. On inverted rows, hitting this for 12, 13, 13, adding a rep to the final set. Pistol squats for 5, 6, 5, this time generally avoiding putting my non-lifting leg on the ground between sets.

Concentration curls, 12kg for 9, 9, 12, 11, 11, adding a rep to third & final set. Concentration hammer curls with forehead resting on the table with 22kg for 2 sets of 15, 15, adding a rep to both sets. Reverse flys with 15kg for 10, 10, 10, 11, & nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push day today. One arm pushup from knees with 5kg on my back for 10, then 15kg on my back for 7, 7, 7, adding a rep to the first heavy set. Pike press, feet on the floor for 10, then feet on the countertop for 8, 8, 7, PR with an added rep to the second set. Hollow body situps for 6, 6.

One set of lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 10, then sphinx press, failed the 8th rep, did three more from the knees. Second set, PR, hitting 6 reps from the feet, then 4 lifting from the knees - I suspect I may be training slightly too hard on these by going to failure then doing the negative from the feet & lifting from the knees, (considering my worse performance on these today), so I changed it to being on the knees both ways. 13 from the knees on the last set, really really difficult.

Paused laterals with 9kg for 11, 13, 11, incredibly hard but managed those 13 reps on the second set for a PR, & back to lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 13, 12.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Sprained my lower back on pistol squats, smh. 3 days prior to writing this post. Because my non lifting leg isn't fully straight at the bottom due to flexibility, I need to really lean forward to keep my weight centred, which messed me up on my second set of pistols. I've been using an ice pack quite a lot, & I'm feeling about 70% recovered. Next time I'll have my heal elevated on a 5kg plate to fix this.

Start of this workout went really well, pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups with 2.5kg for 3 sets of 9. Inverted rows for 3 sets of 13, adding a rep to the first set & hitting a new PR. Pistol squats injury happened after this. I dropped any plans of nordic leg curls & just did concentration curls, bent over hammer curls & reverse flys. Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9, then increased the weight to 13kg for the first time, for 11, 10, 9. Bent over hammer curls, head on the table & zero lower back problems here, 23kg for 14, 15, nice PR here. Bent over raises, 15kg for 4 sets of 10 but this was awful. Back didn't feel good as only some of the load gets taken by my forehead resting on my table, & my CNS was not firing well due to the vulnerability aspect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at it for a push workout. Have to consider my lower back due to pushup/pike press/sphinx press involving some core & thus some lower back. PR on one arm pushups from the knee, 5kg on the back for 9, then 15kg for 7, 7, 8, adding two total reps here, wow. Pike press from the floor for 10 then feet on the countertop for 8, 8, 8, awesome new PR.

One set of lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 10, then sphinx press. Doing these differently, parallettes less in front of me, more almost right under my shoulder joint, increasing the difficulty. First set 6 from the feet, 4 from the knees. Second set 5 & 5. Third set 10 from the knees. Laterals paused with 9kg for 11, 13, 11, matching last week's performance, & lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 13, 13, all time PR here.

Also did nordic leg curls, as overdue. 5 sets of 7.

I'm going out of town on the weekend so pushing my Tues/Wed sessions to Thurs/Fri. Extra time to recover before I do this again.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull session starting with pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups, this time putting additional weight in a backpack rather than a laptop bag, (2.5-5kg can hold easy but the strap slips around). 5kg in the backpack for sternum pullups for 8, 8, 7, tried for 8 got two thirds of the way up. PR on inverted rows, 13, 14, 13.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9 then 13kg for 11, 10, 10, small PR, & on bent over hammer curls, 23kg for 15, 15, adding a rep to the first set. Nordic leg curls for 5X7 & bent over raises for 10, 10, 11, 11 with 15kg, PR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push today. PR on one arm pushups from the knee, 5kg in the backpack for 10 then 15kg for 8, 8, 7, adding another rep. Pike press, feet on the floor for 10, then on the countertop for 8, 8, 8, no PR but did two more feet on the floor right after. Also put myself into position for handstand press just to see the feeling.

Hollow body situp two sets of 6, then one set of lying tricep extensions with 11.5kg for 10. Sphinx press with body more above the paralletes rather than behind for 7 then 3 from the knees, then 5 & 5 from the knees, & 10 on final set from the knees.

Heavier than ever on pause laterals, 9.5kg for 10, 10, 10, & same for lying tricep extensions, 12kg for 13, 12.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Haven't logged for over a week but still keeping up the training. Pull session yesterday, pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups, with the string moved higher up still, for 8, 9, 8. Another PR on inverted rows, 3 sets of 16, 14, 13.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9 then 13kg for 12, 11, 10, small PR, & for hammer curl, I just did a seated hammer curl one arm at a time, 13kg for 2 sets of 15, 14. Nordic leg curls for 5X7 & bent over raises for 10, 10, 11, 11 with 15kg once again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push today. PR on one arm pushups from the knee, 5kg in the backpack for 10 then 15kg for 9, 9, 9. Pike press, feet on the floor for 10, then on the countertop for 8, 8, 8, no PR but did two more feet on the floor right after. I need to make a change here immediately as I've stalled bigtime.

Hollow body situp two sets of 6, then one set of lying tricep extensions with 12.5kg for 10. Sphinx press for 8 then 2 from the knees, then 6 & 4 from the knees, & 10 on final set from the knees.

Pause laterals, 9.5kg for 12, 10, 10, & for lying tricep extensions, 12.5kg for 13, 13, awesome PR.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day done yesterday, (didn't log previous pull & push workouts). Pullups for two sets of 8, then sternum pullups with the string between the handles twisted further around to bring it higher up, & 2.5kg in backpack, for 8, 8, 7. Unfortunately this doesn't feel too great on my shoulders because with the ROM I need to touch the string with it at it's current length, I have to round my shoulders forward a little to touch it to my sternum, so I'll loosen it up slightly in the future & see about adding weight. Nice PR on inverted rows, 2.5kg added weight on my upper chest, managed 3 sets of 13, 14, 13.

Bodyweight leg extensions for 3 sets of 6, then onto nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7, lifting from closer to the floor than previously, still progressing on this one.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9, then 13kg for 12, 12, 11, (left arm got 10, 11th rep stopped a couple inches short of touching my chest with the dumbbell). Followed with regular hammer curls, alternating, can't believe I've never done these before. 13kg for 16, 16, little PR compared to one arm at a time but that's probably just the rest between arms. I did cross-body for a couple reps to see the feeling but lifting them straight up feels stronger in both my brachiradialis AND brachialis. Bent over raises with 15kg for 10, 10, 11, 11. I think I'm actually ready to add weight here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push day completed a few minutes ago. Great workout. One arm pushups from the knee with 10kg on the back for 8, then 20kg for 7, 6, 6, adding a rep to the first heavy set. Still progressing along on these, love it. Pike press - modifying my programming to have fewer straight sets. I did two sets of 8 with feet on the box, (about a foot high), then on the countertop for 9, 8, PR.

Hollow body situp for two sets of 6 then one set of lying tricep extensions with 13kg, heavier than ever, for 10. Sphinx press - totally different today. Didn't use the parallettes. Instead I put my hands on the floor, BUT had it so at the bottom, my elbows were much further back than my shoulders - 3 sets of 8 from the knees - this was actually harder than doing it on my knees with the parallettes, or doing it on my feet with elbows on the floor with shoulder & elbow joint aligned.

Followed with paused laterals with 9.5kg for 12, 11, 10, adding a rep to the second set. Lying tricep extensions to finish with 13kg for 13, 13, another PR on these, absolutely tremendous.

Training rant. Straight sets are the most simple way to structure training. Several sets with the same weight for the same number of reps. If you're introducing something new, it's the best way to do it because if several things will work about as well as each other, the best thing is to go with the simplest option.

However there's a tremendous problem with straight sets. Let's say you do 4 sets of 10. The first 2 or even 3 sets won't be balls to the wall because otherwise you're not hitting 10 on the last set, (that's not the tremendous problem, bare with me). So you do 4X10, you add a bit of weight next session, make a little progress, but quickly stall at something like 10, 10, 8, 8. You're trying to bring that third & fourth set to 10 reps each & it's not happening, despite several sessions of trying.

The problem is this: The attribute you need to adapt to get 4X10 is essentially your recovery between sets. Compared to getting stronger, (or better at distance running, humanity's number one adaptive power), our ability to adapt ourselves to recovering better between sets, is garbage. I'm not saying people can't improve their recovery between sets. Look at a newbie in the gym who does several sets for a muscle group & they're just dead after that, the weight they can move drops hugely & they can barely even contract the muscles. Now get them in the gym for a year doing moderate reps, moderate volume training, it'll clearly be better. The problem is, once out of the novice stage, it barely improves. If you bench 180lb 10 times, going all out, rest 2 minutes, go again, & get 6 reps, & you experiment once again after you've made awesome progress, you bench 300lb 10 times, all out, rest 2 minutes, go again... & get 6 reps... again. So trying to get the reps up on the later sets is a problem, because you're relying on inter-set recovery adaptations.

The solution: There's more than one way to fix this. One way is to NOT aim for all sets to hit the same reps before you increase the weight. Aim to hit a certain rep on a set where you won't be very fatigued, & aim to hit a certain rep on a later set which is less than this. One example is aiming for 12, 10, 8, on a seated leg curl, before upping the weight. Fatigue is taken into account & you don't waste time trying to turn that last set of 8 into 12.

Another way to fix this is to reduce the number of straight sets you do, (I never do more than 3 straight sets). You have 3 options here. The first one is an acclimation set or two before you actually do work sets hard enough to possibly drop your performance for the next set. The second option is achievable backoff sets after several hard work sets. The third is doing both, with an initial acclimation set before the work set/sets & after the hardest sets are done, a backoff set or several, with a weight & rep goal which don't rely on recovery adaptions to be able to hit.

The most cliche bodybuilding advice of all time is the fabled, '3 sets of 8-12', but maybe there's reason for it. Firstly you've got 3 sets, which seems to be about as many hard sets with the same weight you can do for an exercise before you run into the recovery based stall. Secondly you've got the range, 8-12, opening the door for accepting rep dropoff & increasing the weight next time so long as all sets are in the desired 'range' rather than stalling with trying to improve your recovery in order to hit the same reps on the third set as you did on the first.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2020-12-23 at 09:23 PM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Final workouts of the year just completed. Heading out of town for the new year tomorrow for 6 days. Pretty good final sessions of the year.

Pull day, pullups for 8, 8, then sternum pullups with 2.5kg for 8, 8, 9, & PR on inverted rows, 2.5kg added weight for 3 sets of 14, 14, 13. Bodyweight leg extensions for 3 sets of 6 & nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9, then 13kg for 12, 11, 11, PR, then alternating hammer curls with 14kg for 14, 14, good weight selection going up by 1kg.

Actually added weight to reverse flys for the first time in a few months, 15.5kg for 4 sets of 8, 10, 10, 10 - first set has changed into an acclimation set here but otherwise the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push day. Sick PR on one arm from the knee pushups. 10kg on the back for 8, 8, then 20kg for 3 sets of 7, 7, 7, adding a rep to the second & third set. I woulda left the last set at 6 reps but it's the final workout of the year before taking a week off. Pike press, feet on the box for 8, 8, then on the countertop for a PR of 10, 8, adding a rep to the first set.

Hollow body situp for 2 sets of 6, then one set of lying tricep extensions with 13kg for 11, then sphinx press on the floor with elbows behind shoulders for 8, 9, 8, adding a rep to the second set. Paused laterals with 9.5kg for 12, 12, 10, added rep to second set, & back to lying tricep extensions with 13kg for a PR of 14, 14.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    First workouts back... Although I trained upper body at the hotel I was at since they had dumbbells, a cable station & a chest/incline/shoulder press machine, (chest pressed the stack for 12 reps, felt pretty good).

Pull day, pullups for 8, 8, & then entirely new thing altogether, attempting archer pullups for the first time. I did 3 sets of 5, 5, 4, (per side, so 10, 10, 8 in total), looking forward to progressing on this. PR on inverted rows, 2.5kg added weight for 3 sets of 13, 15, 14. Bodyweight leg extensions for 3 sets of 6 & nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9, then 13kg for 13, 11, then 12kg for 11 - I can REALLY grind on curls so I need to balance that with fewer sets to failure, then alternating hammer curls with 15kg for 13, 12, hard work here.

Reverse flys with 15.5kg for 4 sets of 8, 10, 10, 10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push day. One arm from the knee pushups, 10kg on the back for 8, 8, then 20kg for 3 sets of 8, 7, 7, adding a rep to the first set somehow, stoked with this. Pike press, feet on the box for 8, 8, then on the countertop for a PR of 10, 6, not too good on that last set unfortunately.

Hollow body situp for 2 sets of 6, then one set of lying tricep extensions with 13.5kg, 0.5kg heavier than ever, for 10 reps, then sphinx press on the floor with elbows behind shoulders for 9, 9, 8, adding a rep to the first set. Paused laterals with 9.5kg for 12, 12, 11, added rep to third set, & back to lying tricep extensions with 13.5kg for 13, 12.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Didn't log the last pull/push workouts but they went well. Pull day yesterday, starting with pullups for 8, 8, & then archer pullups, hands two fingers wider than last time, you need a wide grip for archer pullups. 3 sets of 5, 5, 4. PR on inverted rows, 2.5kg added weight for 14, then 5kg added weight, heavier than ever, for 14, then 2.5kg again for 14. Bodyweight leg extensions for 3 sets of 6 & nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7.

Concentration curls, 12kg for 9, 9, then 14kg for 12, 11.5 - couldn't secure 12 on the last set, then alternating hammer curls with 15kg for 13, 13, super hard work here to get that PR on the second set. Reverse flys with 15.5kg for 4 sets of 8, 10, 10, 10.

Push day. One arm from the knee pushups, 10kg on the back for 8, then 20kg for 3 sets of 8, 8, 8, finally hitting 3 sets of 8 with 20kg in the bag. Pike press, feet on the floor for 10, then on the box for 8, then on the countertop for 8, 6, fucking shitty performance here. Next session I'll have the first & final set be a lower intensity lower RPE effort, rather than the first 2 sets, as that approach doesn't seem to be working.

Hollow body situp for 2 sets of 6. Followed with placing my upper back on my box & doing dumbbell skullcrushers with 12kg for 10. The movement pattern on the dumbbell extensions I was doing from the floor is too similar to sphinx press with my elbows behind my shoulders. They're both like a JM press & I need two different elbow positions to get more for my triceps, as nice as it is to be making good tricep progress right now. Sphinx press on the floor with elbows behind shoulders for 9, 10, 9, adding a rep to the second set. Paused laterals with 9.5kg for 10, 12, 10, feeling weak as was running late for work so did these immediately after sphinx press. Dumbbell skullcrushers to finish with 12kg for 10, 10.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2021-01-13 at 06:02 AM.

Guilty of espionage Deep Purple's Avatar
    Weight
    NDA
    Height
    NDA
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    It’s insulting it’s revolting

Make lifting section great again

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Pull day yesterday, pullups for 8, 8, then archer pullups for 5, 5, 4, (then two regular wide grip pullups on the last set instead of attempting 5 archer pullups), & sternum rows PR, 2.5kg for 14, 5kg for 14 & 2.5kg again for 15.

Bodyweight leg extensions for 3X6, (I'll try holding a 5kg weight in my hands resting on my mid thighs because I've got better at the ROM on this lift, & my knees lift off the ground at the bottom), & nordic leg curls for 5 sets of 7. On the top set of these when I lift myself a bit off the floor before initiating the concentric, my arms are a bit bent, showing improved ROM.

Concentration curls with 12kg for 9, 9, then 14kg for 13, 12, PR, & 12kg for 10 to finish up. Hammer curls, PR, 15kg for 14, 13, adding a rep to the first set. PR as well on reverse flys, 15.5kg for 8, 10, 10, 11, adding a rep to the last set. I feel the acclimation set helping a lot.

Push day, one arm pushups on the knee with 10kg in backpack for 8, 8, then 20kg for 9, 8. Once I exceed 8 reps I tend to avoid too many straight sets due to inter-set recovery. I hope to hit 10 reps for two sets with 20kg then increase the weight.

Pike press, feet on the floor for 10, then attempted handstand press, facing the wall. I did a rep but it was more like an incline press, big arched back. I tried a second set without arching, so basically pressing my whole bodyweight, but couldn't get past a couple of inches. I don't waste too much time with singles so I then did 8 reps with feet on the countertop, then feet on the floor for 10 to finish up.

Hollow body hold for 6, 7, hands on my collarbones instead of straight & behind my head. One set of dumbbell skullcrushers with 12kg for 10, then sphinx press for 9, 10, 10, adding a rep to the last set.

Laterals done sitting on my box, 9.5kg for 10, 10, 10, definitely harder here than standing. Back to dumbbell skullcrushers to finish, 12kg for 11, 11, PR compared to 10, 10 last time I did these.

EDIT: Back pic, taken in the evening, no pump. I'm slightly over 6'1, just to put things into perspective.

http://imgur.com/a/SD6536P

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Purple View Post
    It?s insulting it?s revolting

Make lifting section great again

Yessir. Just grinding to make progress & paying close attention to what seems to work
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2021-01-16 at 06:58 PM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718