Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Just measure the calf bro Zee Why Zee Zee's Avatar
    Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

His Name Was Log-ert Paulson

Intros can be long winded, so I'll just list some bullet points which should paint a general picture.

-I've been lifting since 2012. I'm 6 foot, (185cm), and 80kg, relatively lean. I'm 23 years old currently
    -My athletic background in adolescence was purely from fencing in high school.
    -I don't play any sports. I've work in an office full time since graduating
    -I've got a slipped disk, initially from squatting in my first year lifting, caused by a single bad rep
    -It has been aggravated several times since then due to previous work, and trying to get back into training lower body
    -I woke up with nerve damage on the entire left side of my lower body in Dec 2013, which took a year to go away
    -To this day I can't train my thighs with the necessary workload without degradation of my back occurring
    -I train my legs once a week with 3 sets of front squats in order to maintain my lower body
    -I enjoy the gym as one component of my life but understand it's limited importance and prioritize it accordingly
    -I'm very interested in exercise science and also in personal experimentation in the gym
    -My lean body mass has changed very little in several years. My progress is gradual and not out of the ordinary

I'd like this log to have two purposes. One purpose for myself, and one purpose for the reader. For myself, I'd simply like to get a sense of both relaxation and of knowing that I'm providing some kind of value with these posts. For the reader, I'd like to provide something that can help them, whether it be methodology, perspective, or just an alternative point of view, whether about lifting or something else entirely. Maybe I'll learn something from you too.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The past 10 or so weeks I've been experimenting with a variant of what some would call 'HIT' style training. The basic idea as I see it is that there is an optimum amount of workload, but the way it's expressed changes depending on, (among a couple of other factors), how far you take a set. If every set you do has 4 reps left in the tank, and 15 sets a week is the, 'optimal' workload on these terms, then doing every set with no reps left in the tank may only take you 7 sets to reach this threshold. There's not a wrong way, (within a certain limit), but the important thing is that the volume and the difficulty of the set play off one another inversely. For strength, the skill component necessitates that more sets = more practice, but talking strictly hypertrophy, it makes sense that a higher difficulty saves time without having any clear downside.

I basically went from straight sets, 10 sets, 3X a week, to 2X a week frequency, quadruple dropset training. Previously I might curl X weight for 5X10, where now it's been X for AMRAP, 0.8X AMRAP, 0.6X AMRAP, 0.5X AMRAP, with a 5-10 second static hold, with 20-40 seconds rest, 20 for isolations, 40 for rows and free weight compound pressing. I need to share my experiences with you guys. I'm sticking with this for a while longer but may make some adjustments. Here is the consensus so far.

It seems to work incredibly well for isolation style lifts. Lateral raises, reverse flys, tricep and bicep isolation. To put training as simple as possible, the body adapts to the reps you do, (1RM% and also difficulty), and how long it takes to do all of them, (rest between sets). Short rest dropset style training obviously sits on the lighter, quicker side, far away from pure strength. This kind of adaption, seems, for single joint isolation lifts, to promote the improvement of these lifts, really well. On compounds however... I've inclined 75kg for 10 several months ago. Today I hit 70kg for 5. Even setting aside training fatigue, training in a new gym, and being totally calm rather than when I inclined 75 for 10 and had planned for it and was hyped, this is a serious drop. I'd encourage people to learn from this. Rest pause is the shit for arms and delts, but for the big compound lifts, it falls too far on the aerobic, low 1RM% side to satisfy the intensity standpoint required to really hypertrophy well on these movements.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    'Workload' is one of the essential factors in training. There's literally nothing more important than workload, only things which are equally as important, such as diet, and avoiding injury. If you don't do enough workload... You make zero gains. Period. Most lifters would actually be smarter if where scheduling problems or lacking motivation made them not want to do the amount of workload to produce adaption, they just trained on a minimalist program just to the point of maintaining gains, (and maybe re-sensitizing themselves for higher volumes in the future), rather than doing almost enough to push beyond, but not quite enough. And then when the motivation returns, they do the necessary workload to improve once more. In short, if you need 6 sets to grow, and 2 sets to maintain, then doing 3, 4, or 5 sets, but not 6, is a waste of time.

I used to be of the mind that more workload is better. Obviously this wasn't unlimited. I'd impose a couple of rules. First, that a training cycle would conclude in 6 weeks, and second, that if due to training fatigue, my strength dropped by more than 10% in this time, I'd gone too far. I was going with the idea that the more I did, without falling apart, the more I'd benefit. But what I hadn't accounted for was the fact that not overtraining doesn't mean recovering. What it can mean is producing a stimulus, which recovers, but before it can supercompensate into adaption, another training session occurs and the body is pushed back into recovering once again... You're working harder, for no benefit.

Doing the right workload to where your body produces a small adaption instead of returning to baseline, but not doing so much work that you're adaption is disrupted by the workload... is both difficult to actually do, and very important to find. The metric I quite like is to find out your, 'maximum recoverable volume', the most amount of work you can do without falling apart, and going at about 80% of that.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hip+back extension, ie a straight legged deadlift type movement pattern, destroys leg curls by a mile for hamstrings. A lot of people inadvertently build their hams just fine because they deadlift, or SLDL, or romanian DL, for a decent workload in the first place. The heads of the hamstring activated by hip+back extension, are capable of much more hypertrophy than the head primarily activated by leg curl movements.

I used to do leg curls for 10 sets, twice a week, with zero other lower body work apart from front squats, and ab work. I quit them, and also began performing barbell rows 2-3 times a week for 5 sets. I also found warming up for rows, (and maybe this is because of my back or maybe most people would benefit here), with SLDL at lighter weights, plus a set of pullups, had me feeling perfect for the first work set. The kind of row I'd perform would involve having a near horizontal upper body at the bottom of the movement, and raising it as I would pull with my upper back so as to finish in a slightly more upright position, (explained next). This was essentially a very partial SLDL involving a stretch as the weight would be an inch tops from the floor with a horizontal upper body, and then a short contraction motion. This shit did more for my hamstrings than 10 sets of leg curls. Light weight, on a movement where it's not even close to being the main muscle hit, and it still did more for the general thickness of them than twice the volume of dedicated work with a higher RPE, too. Make hip+back extension movement pattern lift/s the bulk of hamstring training, people. It is the key.

Weight
    227 lbs
    Height
    6'1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Lifting since 2012 - 5 years.

185, so about same as me.

23 years old - same as me

80 kg??

wtf? 5 years of lifting and only 80 kg at 185 cm??

I'm 184cm @ 105 kg..

and I'm far from fat

SORRY didint read anything else than -I've been lifting since 2012. I'm 6 foot, (185cm), and 80kg, relatively lean. I'm 23 years old currently
    PIN TO WIN

Elie's Nap Crew
    Trenbologna is life

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodyberrington View Post
    Lifting since 2012 - 5 years.

185, so about same as me.

23 years old - same as me

80 kg??

wtf? 5 years of lifting and only 80 kg at 185 cm??

I'm 184cm @ 105 kg..

and I'm far from fat

SORRY didint read anything else than -I've been lifting since 2012. I'm 6 foot, (185cm), and 80kg, relatively lean. I'm 23 years old currently

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Formerly Elie Walker Swedish Fika's Avatar
    Weight
    80kg
    Height
    5'8/172cm
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    fencing crew checking in

jk
    The Dude's Crew
    1% Autism Crew
    musclegod gang
    VYNZ GENERATION CREW
    DNP crew
    Elie's nap crew
    Negged to oblivion by Nine but now green crew

http://www.fitmisc.net/forum/showthr...95#post1534495

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to this particular thing... I'm not sure that I've ever seen somebody who believes in super slow negatives actually do negatives as slow as they say. Time and time again I see, for example, somebody recommend 4 second negatives, and they do a 2 second negative, or they go full Mike Mentzer and recommend a 10 second negative and do a 5-6 second negative. It's as if these people don't know how long a second actually is and simply count the numbers inside their heads as quickly as they'd be able to say them out loud without sounding rushed. People also consistently start from one instead of zero. If a study gets released on time under tension and there's no indication that the people were monitored and that a timer was actually used, it'd be pretty hard to take it seriously. Because of the complete lack of objectivity it's almost impossible to have a group discussion about it without it being meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Elie Walker View Post
    fencing crew checking in

jk

Why must you hurt me in this way

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It's funny the things which we incorrectly assume when it comes to the body. I've recently realized I've made quite a substantial mistake when it came to chest training. I assumed that the upper chest, (clavicular head), was about half the surface area of the chest. This is way off.

When you actually look at the anatomy, the vast majority of the surface area of the chest is composed of the sternal head fibers of the pec. And when you look at where the muscle attaches in the center of your chest, where the mass on each side creates the line in the middle of your chest, the vast majority of this, or in some cases, literally all of this, comes from the size of the lower head of your pec, (combined with leanness).

Franco was an absolute freak in the upper chest department. His clavicular head attached extremely low. But he is an absolute outlier compared with the vast majority of people. And even for Franco, about two thirds of the actual vertical distance between the bottom to top of his pecs, at the centre, are composed of the lower chest fibers.

The important thing is translating this to an actual training strategy which takes this into account. I believe this should probably be a general focus on flat pressing, perhaps combined with an overhead press in a seated high incline position to thrash the clavicular head along with the front delt and tricep.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Dr Mike Israetel is an absolute giant in the science of lifting. One of the things he proposes, (strongly recommends, rather), is that training volume increases over a training cycle. I found this to be counterproductive to the linear periodization scheme and messaged him on FB regarding this. He told me that block periodization was the way to go over LP due to the volume problem. To perform with a similar 1RM% over time, and rather than adjusting the load, to instead adjust the volume, (ie doing more sets), in an upward trend, before deloading, taking a small maintenance phase then continuing the next time around.

I don't want to be logging every workout but I'll just list the plan I have to use this, keeping in mind my lower body situation, (slipped disk, nerve damage).

Day 1: Front Squats, Upper Back & Abs
    Day 2: Chest, Shoulders & Arms
    3: OFF
    4: Upper Back & Abs
    5: Chest, Shoulders & Arms
    6: OFF
    7: OFF

The front squats would just be 3 sets as I'm just doing these for health and maintenance.

Upper Back sessions would contain 4 sets of barbell rows, 4 sets of pulldowns and 5 sets of cable crunches.

Chest, Shoulders & Arms would contain 4 sets of bench, 4 sets of machine press, 4 sets of laterals, 4 sets of reverse flys, 4 sets of incline curls, 4 sets of lying extension and 4 sets of pushdowns.

Every week, the number of sets will increase by 1. By the end of 5 weeks I should be done. On reflection I should have started with higher upper back volume but I'll just jump up the volume in the future. I'll log the weights used next time around for my memory's sake.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Logging this session just to keep account of the weights used and reps performed.

I started with bench, 5 sets as oppose to 4, last week. 5 sets of 70kg, 2 minutes rest between sets on the dot.

Machine chest press with 75kg for 10, then drop sets with 30 seconds rest, 60kg for 8, 6, 4, 10 second hold at the end.

Incline curls with 12.5kg for 15, then drop sets with 30 seconds rest with 10kg for 12, 10, 8. I've kept the volume the same on curls. I don't feel that they respond hugely to training, and with work and other commitments I'd rather just focus on other things. Essentially the plan is just to keep the volume the same on these, and to focus on higher chest, shoulder, tricep, core, and upper back volume.

Dumbbell overhead extensions on a 30 degree incline bench were next. I have increased the weight here. I felt that 20kg for 20 reps was a tad light. I used a 22.5kg dumbbell for 15 reps, followed by 30 seconds rest and 3 dropsets with 17.5kg for 10, 15kg for 10 and 15kg for 8. The sets haven't increased. I'm leaving that for the pushdowns.

Rear delt flys were done today with 12.5kg for 15 reps, followed by 3 dropsets with 30 seconds rest with the same weight for the same reps. Essentially the first set was a 'soft' AMRAP, stopping when I wouldn't be able to get any more reps with the kind of ROM/form used on the first few reps. On the consequent sets, with 30 seconds rest, and the same rep count, the form slipped so that the ROM became lesser. However I've never recalled such a burn in my rear delts as when done this way. I won't actually increase the volume on these for a short time, as I'd like to see how this goes.

Lateral raises - did one extra set here. First set with 10kg dumbbells for 20 reps, followed by 4 dropsets with 8kg for 15, 12, 10, 10 and a static hold for 10 seconds.

Pushdowns - did one extra set here. 20kg, 17.5, 15, 12.5 and 12.5 all for 12 reps with 30 seconds rest. The way I do these is to step back from the attachment, bring my hips back and upper body forward a little bit, and bring the handle to my hips. Essentially I'm achieving a kind of hybrid between a, 'heavy' pushdown, the way most people perform it, and a tricep kickback. What I'm basically trying to achieve is a movement arc where the difficulty remains the same throughout the entire ROM, unlike a traditional dumbbell kickback where the tension goes from nothing at all to 100 real quick.

In summary: Chest sets have gone from 8 to 9. Tricep sets have gone from 8 to 9. Shoulder sets have gone from 8 to 9. Weekly chest, tricep and shoulder sets have gone from 16 to 18. Next week they will go to 20. The following week they will go to 22. I may keep it the same in the following week then deload. Will have to see how I feel.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just trained upper back and abs yesterday, hitting chest, shoulders, bis and tris today. Feels good doing 5 sets of barbell rows and pulldowns. 4 sets was a bit low but 5 feels good. 60kg rows for 5 sets of 10 with two minutes rest between sets. Pulldowns are slightly more rest pause oriented. Each set to AMRAP, 80kg for 10, 65 for 8, 6, 5, 5 with just 1 minute rest. Rope crunches with the rope attachment with 25kg for 6 sets of 12, (10 and 8 reps on the last two sets).

A great positive cue I've observed on barbell rows: Really bring your hips back. As well as putting the bar closer to the midline of your body from a side perspective, and thus lessening the torque on your lower back, it also leaves your shins in a more vertical position as oppose to them tilting forward. For those whose bottom position for the row is with the weight almost touching the ground, (which is generally the way I think it should be done), this keeps the shins out of the way of the bar path greatly.

Height
    5'1
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Didn't read
    Welcome everyone, Dylan Gemelli here today.

B: 60
    S: 40
    D: lol

Strength crew

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drone125 View Post
    nice to meet u. I like your post.

cheers m8

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I've been unwell recently. Been to the doctor and am going to a specialist in a couple of weeks. No need to go into detail but I've lost a fair bit of blood. I'm taking training easier at the moment considering this.

Today I wanted to detail an interesting phenomenon - the way that strength drops during a workout and the effect on volume this has. Essentially, when you do an exercise, especially a compound, for a truly intense set of as many reps as possible, or very close, then we all know this already, you're not really going to replicate that in the same workout. That 10% of your strength that you lose after performing a seriously difficult set is easily lost. However, there is an exponentially higher amount of work you need to do to get your strength to drop even further past this point. A single AMRAP set, for several reps, will skim some strength off the top, but you're going to have to do multiple additional sets to get a further performance drop that, at the start, only took you one set.

What's the importance of this? Basically, it's not to be that afraid to go to failure on certain lifts due to worrying about the volume being lower. If you hit a tough set early on, then it does cut into your strength on following sets, but following this, you can sustain that slightly diminished strength extraordinarily well even with shorter rest and more intense sets. I hit a tough set of laterals with 10kg for 20 reps, and 30 seconds later, was onto the 8kgs for multiple sets with short rest. I found in sets 3, 4, 5 and 6 I was consistently able to hit 12 reps, with an incredibly minor increase in difficulty over these numerous sets. Meanwhile I get 6 sets done in basically 6 minutes.

I'd still follow a more conventional approach for the more major compound lifts though for several reasons, (greater negative effect on strength from fatiguing yourself on bigger lifts, the greater external load emphasizing the increased importance of volume, risking re-enforcing negative movement patterns due to poor form brought on by fatigue, among a few other reasons), but this is definitely something to keep in mind for smaller isolation style lifts.

Weight
    80kg
    Height
    5'8/172cm
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    I'm just gonna take drugs an rely on them instead of actual knowledge

Nice post though
    The Dude's Crew
    1% Autism Crew
    musclegod gang
    VYNZ GENERATION CREW
    DNP crew
    Elie's nap crew

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Seeing a specialist next week regarding the medical issue I've been having. Could be an inflamed intestine but will have to wait and see. Symptoms haven't changed in the past month.

Trained front squats 3X5, 90kg, followed by 3 sets of rows and 4 sets of pulldowns, 8 sets of rope crunches. Upper back on maintenance road while I'm dealing with this medical problem. Still training smaller muscles harder due to less systematic fatigue, but deloading next week. In week 1, it was 5 sets of abs, side delts and rear delts, now in week 5 it's 8-9. Went from 8 sets to 12 on triceps, 9 to 13 on chest. All twice a week of course. From minimum effective volume to maximal recoverable volume.

I've grown pretty disillusioned about bicep training and how much of growth is just genetically influenced but I've recently decided to really focus on hammer curls for the brachialis and brachioradialis and see how responsive things are from actually focusing on this. Did 5 rest pause sets of 15, 8, 7, 7, 6 with 15kg today. I think it was enough to disrupt homeostasis honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Elie Walker View Post
    I'm just gonna take drugs an rely on them instead of actual knowledge

Nice post though

Drugs will do more for you than virtually any training knowledge excluding hitting a basic minimum threshold of work and not getting injured. I can see the appeal.

Weight
    80kg
    Height
    5'8/172cm
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee Why Zee Zee View Post

Drugs will do more for you than virtually any training knowledge excluding hitting a basic minimum threshold of work and not getting injured. I can see the appeal.
    yeah I mean besides genetics which is obviously the king of all king roles in bodybuilding

Drugs really are THAT good if you know how to use them

I was obviously playing ignorant with my first post but behind the sarcasm, it's absolute truth.
    The Dude's Crew
    1% Autism Crew
    musclegod gang
    VYNZ GENERATION CREW
    DNP crew
    Elie's nap crew

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    No posts for a while for a couple of reasons. First is that unless you're our boy Hemingway, there's simply not much content to add when it comes to fitness. The second is that my training has been in limbo a bit. I found out yesterday I have Crohn's disease.

Crohn's disease can sometimes cause life-threatening complications.
    Crohn's disease can cause abdominal pain, diarrhoea, weight loss, anaemia and fatigue. Some people may be symptom-free most of their lives, while others can have severe chronic symptoms that never go away.
    Crohn's disease cannot be cured.

The plan going forward is to focus on certain bodyparts more than others, and to alternate, rather than going for everything at once with a diminished recovery capacity.

The one thing I'm enjoying right now is blasting the brachioradialis with hammer curls. My plan is basically to maintain the bis and focus on building this part of the forearm as it's something I've always neglected.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Going for a bone density scan tomorrow. Training on the backburner somewhat right now. Had to go to the hospital last week. Training update is as follows.

I was faced with the reality that purely flat pressing isn't enough to maintain overhead pressing strength. I'll be bringing that back and focusing more on that for a while.

Rear delt flies have been assisted greatly by the knowledge of bringing the upper arm back in a, 'Goldilocks' fashion. Bringing them straight out to the side results in a lot of trap activation, while having your elbows 100% in would obviously make it a lat exercise. Bringing the weight backwards ever so slightly gets the rear delts perfectly.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast