Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
    Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)

NUMBER ONE EXERCISE FOR TRAINING TRICEPS IF YOU HAVE ELBOW PAIN

I don't know about you guys but 11 years ago I fractured my elbow so that a tiny piece of the radius bone came off. The bone healed alright but it appears the incident also damaged the cartilage in my elbow joint and the cartilage has been slowly disintegrating since then. Now it's gotten to the point where I can't do any tricep extension exercises with anything heavier than a resistance band. Zero issues with pressing exercises but any tricep extension, even 25lb dumbbell skullcrushers will begin to hurt after a couple of weeks.

Recently I've discovered an exercise that pumps the living fuck out of my triceps without causing any pain in the elbow, if you have a similar problem as I do then this might help you too:

Close grip incline bench press.

This exercise is great because it's not only easy on the elbows but pressing at an upward angle provides a stretch for the triceps that also creates a greater activation for the long head of the tricep, the one that provides most of the mass and size in your tricepticons.

Set the incline at 45 degree angle.
    Pull shoulder blades back and down.
    Arch back half way to max.
    Grab the barbell around shoulder width.
    Bring the barbell down only so much that your elbows are in line with your body, usually this means bringing the bar down to around face level / a few inches above your chest.
    Press it up and pause at the top.

DO NOT bring the barbell all the way down to your chest on this exercise. That would shift the workload to the upper chest and front delts, in this exercise we want to keep all the tension on the triceps. You can do full range of motion incline bench press all you want but do it separately from this.

Try this exercise, go for high reps near to failure and I promise you you're gonna feel a burn in your triceps that is just incredible.
    Last edited by Online Warlord; 2021-09-15 at 04:45 AM.
    Blahautism: The Jason Blaha Story CLIFFS

Click on the link above to see the Blahautism CLIFFS thread for a thorough summary of the Blahautism threads, including important exclusive information that is not on either Blahapedia or Exposed TV

Red and blonde streaks thesavageking's Avatar
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    I think my triceps are finally good, 5 or 6 years of bad pain, sometimes these pains like knee pain just go away lul

Weight
    104kgs
    Height
    147cm
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    You should work your upper chest though

But by arching your back even on a 45 degree incline you would work your lower chest the most.

Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bropiss View Post
    You should work your upper chest though

But by arching your back even on a 45 degree incline you would work your lower chest the most.
    I do work my upper chest and the arch isnt supposed to be that much, just enough to stabilize your body on the bench and turn your chest into an angle where the upper pectoral is at peak contraction with only minimal contribution from front delt and mid/lower chest.

Click on the link above to see the Blahautism CLIFFS thread for a thorough summary of the Blahautism threads, including important exclusive information that is not on either Blahapedia or Exposed TV

Weight
    115kg
    Height
    6 feet
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    What other exercises do you do? Ive learned with myself that all type of single arm exercises work best.
    Not active

Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakTeen View Post
    What other exercises do you do? Ive learned with myself that all type of single arm exercises work best.
    Flat bench, front squat, sumo deadlift with double overhand grip, incline bench, this exercise, bent over row, w row with dumbbells, lateral raises, real delt raises and sometimes single leg hip thrusts.

Also currently doing some rack pulls above the knee with hook grip because I havent hook gripped anything heavy for a while and I need to re-train it.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    thanks brother i will try it when i go back to the gym

Weight
    I'm a strength athlete, who cares
    Height
    6' on the internet
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So you are doing an incline close grip bench but you dont touch the chest and lift the bar to your face? It seems like a incline JM press imo. I tried regular JM presses on a flat bench, but that actually made my elbows hurt. I never tried it on an incline tho. I prefer doing overhead extensions, they are way more elbow friendly and hit the long head better, since this head cross the shoulder joint. But i might give this variation a try, so thanks

Weight
    115kg
    Height
    6 feet
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Online Warlord View Post
    Flat bench, front squat, sumo deadlift with double overhand grip, incline bench, this exercise, bent over row, w row with dumbbells, lateral raises, real delt raises and sometimes single leg hip thrusts.

Also currently doing some rack pulls above the knee with hook grip because I havent hook gripped anything heavy for a while and I need to re-train it.
    Meant for triceps my friend haha
    Not active

Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWhale View Post
    So you are doing an incline close grip bench but you dont touch the chest and lift the bar to your face? It seems like a incline JM press imo. I tried regular JM presses on a flat bench, but that actually made my elbows hurt. I never tried it on an incline tho. I prefer doing overhead extensions, they are way more elbow friendly and hit the long head better, since this head cross the shoulder joint. But i might give this variation a try, so thanks
    Oh no I didnt mean to my face like the JM press when I said face level, I meant that I bring the bar down towards the chest but stop a few inches short, around the same height as where my face is when I lay on a 45 degree incline.

Close grip incline bench press with shortened range of motion would be the best way to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeakTeen View Post
    Meant for triceps my friend haha
    Oh ok, well it's really just this one right now. I liked to do dumbbell skullcrushers before but I can only do that exercise for like 2 weeks before my elbow starts hurting, then I had to take a break and just do my regular flat bench and incline stuff. This one I can keep doing forever.

Which exercises do you do? Single arm extensions or something?

Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus piece View Post
    thanks brother i will try it when i go back to the gym
    Any time brother

Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Sometimes my elbows hurt a little bit but it buffs out once I get moving

Triceps is simple: 12 sets a week 4 exercises 3 sets each reps of 8-15

Tricep rope pushdown
    Overhead extension bb or db
    Wide grip Tricep pushdown w flat bar
    One arm cable pushdown

I wouldn?t waste my time risking tearing my shit up anymore doing anything over 225 close grip bench and even then it?s way more work and less results
    Last edited by longNStrong; 2021-09-15 at 04:46 PM.

Weight
    Height
    6' on the internet
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh no I didnt mean to my face like the JM press when I said face level, I meant that I bring the bar down towards the chest but stop a few inches short, around the same height as where my face is when I lay on a 45 degree incline.

Close grip incline bench press with shortened range of motion would be the best way to describe it.
    Interesting. It is like a board press then, but without the board. It is smart since partial work, specially when done on pins, can hurt the elbows if you are not careful. I bet it can give a sick pump for high rep work

Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)
    Interesting. It is like a board press then, but without the board. It is smart since partial work, specially when done on pins, can hurt the elbows if you are not careful. I bet it can give a sick pump for high rep work
    Yeah that's what I'm talking about, try it and report back my friend.

Weight
    115kg
    Height
    6 feet
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Oh ok, well it's really just this one right now. I liked to do dumbbell skullcrushers before but I can only do that exercise for like 2 weeks before my elbow starts hurting, then I had to take a break and just do my regular flat bench and incline stuff. This one I can keep doing forever.

Which exercises do you do? Single arm extensions or something?
    Yeah just really focus on squeeze after heavy pushing. Overhead 1 arm at a time is nice too.

Sucks about the elbow, could try light 1 arm work mby
    Not active

Weight
    Height
    6' on the internet
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah that's what I'm talking about, try it and report back my friend.
    I tried it today. Insane pump on my long head with zero elbow pain. I really enjoyed it. Thanks, my friend

Weight
    Sex
    Height
    Sex
    Mentioned
    1501 Post(s)
    I tried it today. Insane pump on my long head with zero elbow pain. I really enjoyed it. Thanks, my friend
    Right on, brother

White trash midwest with a tiny pool in a small back yard surrounded by a cheap black chain fence
    Weight
    5 Instagram accounts
    Height
    Doxx king
    Mentioned
    993 Post(s)
    heavy dips
    explosive jm press
    pushdowns with a straight bar
    rolling skull crushers
    dumbbell tate press

Senior Member Fire God Liu Kang's Avatar
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    just trudge your way in the pain with the skullcrusher the pain will go eventually