Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Just measure the calf bro Zee Why Zee Zee's Avatar
    Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Alright, first workout back after 7 consecutive days of inactivity, (apart from bike riding on holiday). Via the program design the first workout isn't exactly super intense so obviously there were no problems. 130kg rack pull 4X8 - slightly harder than during the middle of the previous training cycle, but not harder than expected. 72.5kg bench, 3X8, was easy so as planned I rested like 2 minutes then under 90 seconds between the sets. 80kg barbell row 3X8 might not be my max capacity, but it's such a hard exercise I took the full two minutes I usually take.

Chest press 3X11, 11, 10, (maybe could've hit 11 but as per the point of this training cycle, I'd be better to hit it later on). 135lb machine row, 5X10, and close grip press on a different machine for 12, 12, 9, (different weights so I had to go by feel).

Static holds, hit my previous best, three sets 30 second holds with 110kg. And onto forearm training which I've missed a lot. EZ bar rev curls with just 20kg for 15, 15, 12, 10, (standard rest, 90 seconds, but the fatigue just swept me up). 10kg plate in both hands for 10, 10, 10, 9, which is.... actually a PR. Not bad at all.

Doing some laterals, cable rev flies, behind the back upright row and neck training tomorrow. No need to log this. God I haven't trained shoulders for like 10 days. Not good.

I was looking at the template I wrote and realized I hadn't listed week 2, (I was copy & pasting and I think I pressed backspace while it was highlighted). I don't mean to go full Blaha and pretend I made a stupid mistake on purpose due to always being two steps ahead, but I can spin this into a positive here.

Week 1 Week 3

Rack Pull 130kg 4X8 132.5 4X8
    Bench Press 72.5kg 3X8 77.5kg 3X8
    Barbell Row 80kg 3X8 85kg 3X8
    [Assistance] [Assistance]

Rack pull 152.5kg AMRAP, 140kg 3X5 Rack pull 157.5kg AMRAP, 140kg 3X5
    Bench Press 82.5kg 3X4 Bench Press 87.5kg 3X4
    Barbell Row 90kg 3X6 Barbell Row 95kg 3X6
    [Assistance] [Assistance]

When you look at it side to side, and simply average out what the missing link in the middle is, it basically explains the concept to anybody who's still not 100% on it. 72.5kg bench in week 1 and 77.5kg in week 3, must be 75kg in week 2. 80kg row in week 1 and 85kg in week 3, it's 82.5kg in week 2.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2018-01-05 at 02:22 AM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Alright. 152.5kg rackpull for 8 followed by 3X5 with 140kg. Heavier bench day - 82.5kg for 3X4. Only rested 90 seconds and got a nice RPE out of it on the second and third sets. 90kg rows 3X6. Chest press with 150lb for 3X11 today, PR. 135lb 5X10 machine rows, and 4X12 close grip press with 120. This may be a PR but I'll check after this post to make sure.

150kg static holds for 3 sets of 10 seconds - I had to cheat on the last set seven seconds in. Really annoying. Not what I want. Did cable curls with the rope with some weight for 4X15. I did an excellent job on wrist curls though, 4 sets of 10 with the 10kg plate. Great way to finish at least.

It's still early days. Looking forward to rackpull PRs, and hopefully some bench and row PRs. And jacked forearms as soon as possible.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lighter day again. We're in week 2 so the weight has gone up. 132.5kg rack pull for 4X8. Benched 75kg for 3X8, took a couple minutes between sets this time. Barbell rows with 82.5kg for 3X8 as planned, no problems there.

I decided to try out barbell OHP basically to see how my body is from a, 'balance', standpoint. I don't press overhead, nor any high incline stuff even. No landmine press. Just bench, machine press, (anatomically very similar), and close grip machine press, so I was very curious to see how I'd do. I OHP'd 50kg for 5 reps. Now the OHP isn't a super complicated exercise, but considering the neural component of this lift, which I don't even touch, I feel like this is ok to the extent where I don't think adding in OHPing is going to help my other horizontal pressing lifts particularly. By, 'ok', I don't mean good, just acceptable in the context of how strong I am on other pressing. I really really think the close grip pressing I do is what helped me here.

Machine press 3X11, (despite just OHPing, so technical PR), and after machine rows, (5X10, 135lb), I hit 4X12 on close grip machine press with 125. Pretty good stuff right here.

Static holds weren't good. Went to do 120kg for 3 sets of 25 seconds. I hit 110kg for 3 sets of 30 seconds my first day back so I didn't anticipate problems. Only managed 20 seconds on the second and third set. I think I may actually be exceeding my maximum recoverable volume on forearm stuff. I've never trained them this hard before.

EZ bar reverse curls with 20kg for 18, 18, 15, 15, and 10kg plate curls for 10, 10, 10, 9. Love doing these, as always.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Second and final full workout of week 2. 155kg rack pull for 8, though I've already hit that before. The RPE here wasn't quite 10 but it was close. I've been thinking about form and I've realized that what I need to do here is bring the bar slightly closer to my body, but also avoiding shifting my weight backwards as I do this. I want to be over the bar, not behind it, but I also want to keep it close to my shins. Some cues can work against other ones. 140kg for 3X5 backoff sets.

Benched 85kg for 3X4. Still coming up easy, I 3 second paused the last one, and just rested 2 minutes between sets. Rows with 92.5kg 3X6 no problem. Looking forward to 100kg hopefully.

Solid PR on chest press - 165, a weight I've never done before, for 10, 10, 11 - I rested 3 minutes before the last set because I got talking to somebody and consciously did the extra rep. Standardizing the rest periods to what I normally do, this should be considered 3X10. Still pausing at the bottom of every rep, by the way.

5X10 machine row with 135, 4X12 on close grip press - this is great - no volume lost here despite putting more into chest press.

Static holds, only did 2 sets. I remember the first workout back... 110kg for 3 sets of 30 seconds, and how my performance has honestly regressed since then. 2 sets with 110kg for 30 seconds, then 20 seconds - intentionally cut short but I could intuitively tell 3X30 was not on the cards today.

Plate wrist curls with 15kg today for 4X8. Seems like a massive PR but I intentionally held the plate closer to the middle so it wouldn't be a 50% jump in weight, which would just be ridiculous. 30kg EZ bar reverse curl for 4X8. This was a mistake. I absolutely had the strength to curl it but my wrists were simply not strong enough to flex upwards after a few reps each set. They just sorta dragged. I should have just done hammer curls.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lighter day today. From about 10 to 25 minutes into the workout was absolute hell.

I had quite a decent lunch, like 850 calories from corn chips, a soda and a pork steak. So stomach was moderately full. Then, since it was beautiful outside, I got about 30 minutes of sun in my courtyard. The thing was, I didn't want to get sun after the gym, since I'd get sweaty as hell right after having a shower. So I laid in the sun, and sweat like an absolute animal. Then I had a litre of water so I wouldn't be dehydrated for the workout in half an hour. The obvious result was I felt pretty nauseous from near the end of rack pulls to bench, until finishing barbell rows. Going to machine work afterwards was like finding an oasis in a desert.

Rack pulls 132.5kg for 4X8. This felt absolutely powerful in my upper back today in particular. Really really engaged. Everything in my upper back was firing hard, though not in the way which would make it easier. Just in a way so that the contraction was very strong. Probably because I was focusing on having the weight closer to my body.

Onto bench press, (feeling ill but at least I'm laying down to exercise, so it didn't worsen from mild discomfort). 77.5kg for 3 sets of 8. Not even an RPE 10 on the last set, good sign. 80kg should be doable for 3X8 next week. Rows with 85kg 3X8, good, good. Going as planned there. Hopefully I'll be able to make the increases.

Fucking finally, exercises which aren't going to make me feel sick. Chest press with 165 for 3X10 - last time I rested too long so today was a test I could do this with 2 minutes rest, which worked out well. 135lb machine rows, 5X10. Close grip press 4X12 with 120lb. This was really good considering 77.5kg 3X8 bench is the hardest bench I've done in a few weeks, yet the close grip press didn't falter.

Static holds with 140kg for 12, 10, 10 seconds. I'm gonna look at previous posts for this exercise and assess my volume.

Reverse curls with 20kg 4X12, and being extremely honest about only performing reps with my wrists maintaining neutrality, rather than not being strong enough to do that and drooping down. Excellent job on wrist curls, 10kg plate for 10, 10, 10, 11 - just had to get that extra one. New PR.
    People who live awesome and amazing lives don't spend time posting on forums about how awesome and amazing their lives are.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't normally post these secondary workouts I do once a week but I'm feeling good about the neck training, and hit an excellent PR.

Side laterals with 9kg dumbbells for 20, 12, 12, 12. Then, onto neck training.

So when I first started neck training, I did neck curls with 5kg for 3-4 sets of 10 and neck extensions for 10, 10, 8, 8. Almost every session I've slowly managed to up the reps. Today I hit a new best of 4 sets of 15 on neck curls, and 4 sets of 12, 12, 12, 13 on neck extensions. When I started neck training, I did these on a flat bench but I've found that a low incline bench feels better. On neck curls, at the bottom, there is still force pushing, so you get a nicer stretch, (but with a light weight of course so there's no injury risk), and more importantly for neck extensions, when you do them on a flat bench there is no tension at all at the bottom, whereas there is on the incline. Neck curls still feel more natural, but the gap has closed. Objectively, these gains aren't really impressive - I've started training a muscle I didn't used to directly train. But it still makes me happy to have the improvement regardless and I feel excited for the future, doing sets of 20 and perhaps even using 10kg for low reps

Cable across-the-body rear delt fly for 6 sets of 10 on the second pin, and 30lb machine laterals for 2 sets of 15. Finished with behind the back upright rows in the smith machine with 60kg for 4 sets of 13.

It's funny how this workout is 24 sets but is a real breeze. Context really is everything.
    People who live awesome and amazing lives don't spend time posting on forums about how awesome and amazing their lives are.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well it's been a long time coming but I've finally failed to progress on rack pulls. Today I wanted to do 160kg. I've done 155kg for 8, and I rationally didn't think I was going to hit 160kg for 8. But I wanted to get it for 7. I only managed to hit it for 6 reps. I was annoyed, so I rested for 4 minutes, then did another set of 6 at the same weight. So it's not quite a 6RM, but not quite a 7RM. I didn't fail any reps but I could tell it wasn't happening. I'm not going to throw everything out the window programming-wise due to 1 workout, but there aren't really major external factors to justify this. 3 non-lifting days since my last session, (excluding the neck and delt training 3 days ago). Poor sleep in the night but napped for 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday. Same diet. Maybe, just maybe, I'm still capable of weekly jumps. But there are probably programming changes I should consider at the very least.

87.5kg bench for 3 sets of 4 flew up really nicely. Barbell rows with heavier weight than I've ever done before, 95kg, for 3 sets of 6. Happy with this. Form was tight. Not sure how pretty 100kg will be though... But we will see.

Chest press, 165 3X10, 135 machine row for 5X10, 4 sets of 12, 12, 12, 13 on close grip press, a new PR. Good stuff.

I've come to terms that my grip work volume, which isn't even super high, is exceeding my recovery. For now I'm switching to two sets instead of three. 2X30 seconds with 110kg. Maybe coulda held it for like 2 more seconds on the last set. Still marginally fatigued as another set of 30 seconds after 90 second's rest wouldn't have happened, even though I did this first workout back after my break.

Hammer grip wrist curls with 5kg plates for 12, 10, 10, 10, and 15kg wrist curls for 4 sets of 10. Used a different 15kg plate and probably grabbed it closer to the middle so I wouldn't call this a PR. Still felt excellent though.

Bodyweight is a hair under 84kg. Big improvement from 78kg from just over 3 months ago. Chrohns disease is a son of a bitch but the medication helped considerably. Even though it is a catabolic steroid, the fact that it allowed more of the calories I ate to actually be metabolized helped considerably.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Recording another of my secondary sessions. Mainly for the neck progression.

Laterals with 16kg for 8, 14kg for 8, 8, 8. Then onto neck curls superset with neck extensions, 5kg on both exercises. I hit 4X20 on neck curls. Saw an AlphaDestiny video yesterday where he did 20kg for like 100 reps and thought I really need to step my game up. 4X15 on neck extensions. PR on both.

6X15, 15, 15, 12, 12, 12 cable rear delt flys, 4X8 behind the back upright rows 80kg and 80lb machine laterals for 2 sets of 10.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Decent day. Rack pulls were just me spontaneously doing what I felt like, which happened to be 160kg, one pin higher than normal, for 5 sets of 3.

Bench press went really well. Today was supposed to be 80kg for 3X8. I suspect the bar I used was slightly lighter than 20kg. What I actually did today was 8, 8, 9, with a pause on that very last rep. Good sign of things to come.

Rows with 87.5kg for 3 sets of 8. No question it was doable but these had me feeling really tired... Onto chest press. 165lb 3X10 again - pretty good considering bench press earlier was the hardest bench workout in terms of weight and reps, but I was still able to duplicate my performance on chest press. 135lb rows for 5X10.

Another PR on close grip press. 125lb for 13, 12, 13, 12. I knew on the first set I had more in my so did 13 reps, thereby making the later sets harder so managing 12, 12, 12 would be a PR. By the third set I decided I had another one in me and still could hit 12 on the last set.

Static holds with 140kg for 2 sets of 12. Not much to report here really. Hammer grip plate wrist curls with 5kg per hand went well though, 12, 12, 12, 10, and plate wrist curls with 10kg for 12, 10, 10, 10. Forearm training is the shit.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Laying around at home bout to go to sleep after today's workout. Today I decided to try out trap bar deadlift for the first time. Haven't pulled from the floor in so so long. No high handles either, just one set of handles nice and low. Assuming the trap bar weighs 30kg, I worked up to 140kg for 5, 5, 6, 9RPE on the last rep of the last set.

Extremely awkward movement when it comes to straps. I'm happy to say I removed them and could still grip the bar. Thinner handles than a regular bar was a big help. I was also disappointed slightly in the lack of upper back contraction, but I now realize it's stupid of me to be disappointed - obviously pulling lighter weight from the floor would be less upper back and more quads and lower back. Even shrugging at the top it didn't feel like much.

Solid bench performance, 90kg for 3 sets of 4. Barbell rows once again with more weight than I've ever used - 97.5kg for 3 sets of 6.

Chest press 3X10 with 165lb, extra long pause on the last rep. 135lb machine row for 5X10. Another PR on close grip machine press, 125lb for 14, 14, 12, 12.

With the volume drop, static holds are feeling good. Today was 120kg for 2 sets of 25, 27 seconds. Wanted to hold it for a couple of seconds longer to convince myself that if required I could have done 3X25. Obviously I didn't though because that shit seems to mess me up.

Finishing with forearms, hammer grip plate extensions with 5kg for 12, 12, 12, 10, and 15kg wrist curls for 4 sets of 8. Possible PR here due to my hands possibly being further away from the middle of the plate but I won't say so definitively.

EDIT: Just logging the next workout, (24hrs later), in this same post.

Machine laterals with 65lb for 4 sets of 20, 15, 15, 15. Cable rear delt fly for 6X12 with 5kg, 2 more sets of machine laterals for 2 sets of 15. Behind the back upright rows for 4X12 with 60kg.

But as for the neck training... Great PRs today. Neck curls for 25, 25, 20, 20, neck extensions for 20, 20, 15, 15. Strength is really coming up here. Soon I'll do 10kg on these for lower reps alternating heavier and lighter. I want to be slightly more competent with 5kg though before I make the jump.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; 2018-01-30 at 01:15 AM.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just rack pulled 160kg for 9 reps. Everything just felt really good. Didn't start with my hips slightly low and lose power, or have them too high and grunt it up with my glutes and erectors disproportionately. It just felt great. Lets re-cap things. At the end of the last training cycle, I pull 155kg for 8. This training cycle starts, and I work my way up to 155kg for the same reps over a couple weeks, then I try 160kg and get 6 reps, a fail at a PR. Then, I literally do what I want for 2 workouts - higher rack pulls 5X3 with 160kg, then 140kg trap bar deadlifts 130kg for 5 and 140kg for 5, 5, 6. Then, I come back to rack pulls and get a PR. There's something here... There's something to this, and I need to stick my hand into this randomness and pull some order out of it. Perhaps the trap bar deads allowed for much needed upper back recovery.

Bench went well too. 82.5kg 3X8 was the plan, I did that and then paused the 9th rep. Feeling optimistic about this one. Rows with 90kg for 3X8 went without a hitch, (they always do so long as I'm realistic). But I was just lying on the floor between sets. Not just because they are a very hard exercise, but they can make one extremely dizzy. Being in a bent over position for an entire set, pulling a bar towards you.

165lb machine press for a PR, 10, 10, 11. 135lb machine rows for 5X10. Close grip machine press for 14, 14, 13, 10. Lost it at the end, not feeling negative about it though. Sometimes it's not so much strength but the fatigue just hits you harder. Tris were burning.

Good performance on static holds, as is common now that I've dropped down to 2 sets. 140kg for 2 sets of 15, 17 seconds. Then comes the direct forearm work. I definitely PR'd on plate wrist curls. 15kg for 4X8, holding the plate marginally closer to the bottom than before. 4X12 on hammer grip plate wrist curls.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Solid day. Several PRs. Starting with rack pulls... I did them with heavier weight than I've ever done before - 165kg. Keeping in mind that I did 160kg for 9 reps 3 days ago, this wasn't a PR attempt, but rather multiple sets of low reps, 5 sets of 3, to produce an adaptation, rather than demonstrate new strength. It was definitely heavy, but manageable.

Bench today with 92.5kg for 3 sets of 4. This felt good to the point where I paused the last rep of the last set. Testing should be fun here.

Rows... Today was the cumulative session. 100kg for 3X6. Hard to think 80kg was my 5RM in July when my illness was at it's peak. Now, this was like 6, 6, 5. I did the 6th rep but I can't count it, and it wasn't close. Just got to keep at it.

PR on chest press, 3 sets of 11 with 165lb. 5X10 with 135 on machine rows. Close grip chest press with 120lb for 14, 14, 13, 12, little better than last time.

Excellent PR on static holds. 120kg for 2 sets of 30, 28 seconds. I bit off a little more than I could chew but I suppose I did rest only 90 seconds, (my usual rest time for these).

I haven't done a curl in probably a month but I did hammer curls today for 4 sets of 8 with 20kg dumbbells, so I haven't lost any strength here. Finished with wrist curls with a plate, 10kg, for a PR of 12, 12, 12, 11 reps. That's a significant improvement. I have to consider that maybe it was because I did them after hammer curls rather than after hammer grip plate wrist curls... But I don't think that hammer curls would fatigue the forearm flexors less than hammer grip wrist curls so I'm calling it a PR.

Weight
    Height
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Whoa, due to all the data deleted on this site I'm looking at my last un-deleted post here being back in February. Some things have progressed well since then, other things less-so.

Did my pull workout this Saturday, and push on Sunday. Both sessions logged below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the gym where I won a 1 month membership for both workouts. They don't have a row machine with independent arms and freedom of movement, so I'll go to my normal gym for pull workouts. Used the cable row with two cable crossover handles attached, which gave me the latter and a small amount of the former, (not perfect, just ok). 4X8 with slightly heavier weight, 4X10 with slightly lighter weight. I can only visually remember the weights used. Consistent trend when it comes to new machines in a new gym.

100kg static hold - bar is much thicker in this gym. Still added fat grips, and considering the thickness, I was happy to do 2 sets of 26 seconds. 4X12 125kg shrugs followed.

With barbell rows off the table, it's clear I need a hip hinge which doesn't risk injury. Did hyper-extensions for the first time in a long time, and they're gonna become a staple. I did them rest pause style, 15, 9, 9, 8, 7, (30 seconds rest). I plan on alternating rest pause with 'heavy' straight sets, heavy for this exercise meaning like 6 reps at the absolute heaviest. Going to have to add weight for that. I can say 2 days later that my lower back has more DOMS than I used to get from rack pulls and barbell rows, and also a little soreness in hammies, but like zero soreness in glutes, interesting.

Also did rest-pause on facepulls with a weight I can't remember for 15, 10, 8, 6, 6, then onto fat-grip rope curls. Apparently the weight was 20kg but I managed 4X16, which would normally be what I'd do with 17.5kg, (did that for like 4 reps and thought 'This is too light'). Not taking this as a PR since the machine is different. 15kg plate wrist curls for 18, 18, 16. Finished with pin loaded leg press, (no hack squat), paused, for a couple of sets of 5 with 130 and 8 with 110.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very happy with the push workout. Weighed myself empty stomach this morning at only 76.6kg, my lightest so far, but performance was still strong. Often in a new gym your bench goes down with the slightly different equipment. I thought today was gonna suck when I was benching the bar and it felt heavier than the bar normally does. But I still managed 80kg for 3 sets of 8, 8, 9, very pleased to hit an extra rep on the last set. Basically benching 1.05X bodyweight for 3X8. Gotta get it up but feels good to make bodyweight multuplier progress here.

4X18, 18, 15, 15 20kg neck curl, and 4X10 15kg neck extension, then onto chest press. Different machine so had to focus on selecting the right weight, for 4X11.

Machine laterals on a different machine too, with, '30', for 25, 12, 12, 10, 8 rest pause style. Finished with 4 more sets of close grip machine press for 4 sets of like 10, 12, 10, 12 - obviously trying to get that weight right.

Just really glad with my bench performance. I didn't know I'd be cutting this long because I thought I'd get disproportionately weaker much sooner than this. Since my strength has dropped by so little, and I don't feel overly hungry or really suffering, I'm going to continue cutting to the end of this week. I'm like one of those fat guys that cuts and then finds his strength goes down and he can't handle it and starts bulking again, except that I'm actually lean and still yet to really lose strength.
    Last edited by Zee Why Zee Zee; Yesterday at 03:20 AM.

Fitmisc Wannabe Celebrity Online Warlord's Avatar
    Do you even lift you fucking faggot who are you?
    Weight
    92kg / 203lb
    Height
    188cm / 6ft2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    damn lol all of my posts in this thread disappeared

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234