Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Fire God Liu Kang's Avatar
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

So when is neanderthal going online again

Got some intel stashed there srs

Weight
    Height
    6'1
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    same got some lifting related questions for neanderthal miskers

like: is it ok to use the stretch reflex to start the OHP or does it need to be done from a deadstop?

Weight
    456 lbs
    Height
    5'6"
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevergivein View Post

like: is it ok to use the stretch reflex to start the OHP or does it need to be done from a deadstop?
    I have questions too, like where can I get some vaseline to rub on my balls?
    Weird Energy Crew

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)

if you mean starting with arms fully extended from the top no that makes no sense, pretty pajeet thing to do
    if you mean a small leg drive to start it's good, it overloads your body more, just dont start dipping and jerking, that doesn't build anything
    I don't know of any stretch reflex in the OHP

Guilty of espionage Deep Purple's Avatar
    Weight
    NDA
    Height
    NDA
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

OHP is an amazing movement, one of my favorites.

Weight
    You're gay for asking
    Height
    3 inches. Hard
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Violator View Post
    I have questions too, like where can I get some vaseline to rub on my balls?
    I have a bunch of extra on mine. Just scrape some off

Weight
    Height
    6'1
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire God Liu Kang View Post
    if you mean starting with arms fully extended from the top no that makes no sense, pretty pajeet thing to do
    if you mean a small leg drive to start it's good, it overloads your body more, just dont start dipping and jerking, that doesn't build anything
    I don't know of any stretch reflex in the OHP
    no I mean something else
    It's difficult to explain but when you set up with sufficient tightness and you unrack the barbell, it hovers above your chest for a little bit before gravity pulls it in
    and as gravity pulls the bar down to your chest, you feel the tension building like a spring

I can explode faster out of the bottom if I press as soon as the bar touches my chest but idk if it's cheating or not since the weight is never at a deadstop (not sure if it matters for ohp like with deadlift)

Weight
    456 lbs
    Height
    5'6"
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    no I mean something else
    It's difficult to explain but when you set up with sufficient tightness and you unrack the barbell, it hovers above your chest for a little bit before gravity pulls it in
    and as gravity pulls the bar down to your chest, you feel the tension building like a spring

I can explode faster out of the bottom if I press as soon as the bar touches my chest but idk if it's cheating or not since the weight is never at a deadstop (not sure if it matters for ohp like with deadlift)
    God gave you a nose cookie cutter.. so keep your mouth shut!
    Weird Energy Crew

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    no I mean something else

sounds alright and not a big deal, you should always stay tight at the bottom in any case

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    no I mean something else

Saw a Blaha video recently where he said to not go down to the chest, and to stop at chin level. Can't remember if he advocated a pause for OHP, IIRC don't think he does (pausing at chin would be weird)

Probably just worth youtubing jason blaha OHP and getting up to speed with form.

Weight
    145 lb (goal weight)
    Height
    five foot six
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 'snot that bad View Post
    Saw a Blaha video recently where he said to not go down to the chest, and to stop at chin level. Can't remember if he advocated a pause for OHP, IIRC don't think he does (pausing at chin would be weird)

Probably just worth youtubing jason blaha OHP and getting up to speed with form.

100% Natural Hard Work Online Warlord's Avatar
    Super fancy and expensive babe magnet apartment at AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION in Finland
    Weight
    209lbs
    Height
    6ft2
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)

Neanderthal shithouse is not the right place to seek lifting advice from, just come here and ask me

If you want to touch n go on your chest then by all means keep doing it but try to maintain some level of control when you bring it down, dont just divebomb it onto your chest because that can lead to issues.

I personally dont touch my chest at all when I ohp because it forces my shoulders too much backwards and hurts them, if you start experiencing similar issues then you should probably stop touching your chest too but if not then carry on
    Last edited by Online Warlord; 2021-06-10 at 05:23 AM.
    Blahautism: The Jason Blaha Story CLIFFS

Click on the link above to see the Blahautism CLIFFS thread for a thorough summary of the Blahautism threads, including important exclusive information that is not on either Blahapedia or Exposed TV

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    we migrated to a new domain. only cool kids allowed though
    stop stalking me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by Online Warlord; Today at 05:23 AM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    stop stalking me

Weight
    200lbs
    Height
    5'8"
    Mentioned
    2021 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Online Warlord View Post
    Neanderthal shithouse is not the right place to seek lifting advice from, just come here and ask me

If you want to touch n go on your chest then by all means keep doing it but try to maintain some level of control when you bring it down, dont just divebomb it onto your chest because that can lead to issues.

I personally dont touch my chest at all when I ohp because it forces my shoulders too much backwards and hurts them, if you start experiencing similar issues then you should probably stop touching your chest too but if not then carry on
    For bench I come within 1" of chest and for ohp i come down to just below the chin. That range works for me as I have a shoulder impingement due to an old bone spur which never was removed.
    Never give up, never give in, never go down without a fight

numisc founding fathers crew

Master sandbagger at work - stay back 500 feet

Musclegod Gang

Super fancy and expensive babe magnet apartment at AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION in Finland
    Weight
    209lbs
    Height
    6ft2
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MindlessWork View Post
    For bench I come within 1" of chest and for ohp i come down to just below the chin. That range works for me as I have a shoulder impingement due to an old bone spur which never was removed.
    Do you use a block or something on your chest when you bench?

Thats what I would do, and in fact thats exactly what I do when I incline bench
    I hurt my shoulder doing heavy full range incline bench so Im using a block for now

Click on the link above to see the Blahautism CLIFFS thread for a thorough summary of the Blahautism threads, including important exclusive information that is not on either Blahapedia or Exposed TV

Weight
    Height
    6'1
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I hurt my shoulder doing heavy full range incline bench so Im using a block for now
    Is dumbbell bench press necessary to build a great chest like yours?

Weight
    209lbs
    Height
    6ft2
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Is dumbbell bench press necessary to build a great chest like yours?
    I never did dumbbells for this chest so I wouldnt say necessary but it probably wouldnt hurt either

Weight
    200lbs
    Height
    5'8"
    Mentioned
    2021 Post(s)

No block I use but my natural ROM along with the most comfortable grip width brings bar to within roughly 1" of chest on bench.
    Never give up, never give in, never go down without a fight

numisc founding fathers crew

Master sandbagger at work - stay back 500 feet

Musclegod Gang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast